Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-McLain Plus indirect question

Options
Howdy Wall!

It has been a while. Hoping everyone is doing well.

Question: I just replaced a leak-er Weil-McLain Plus 30 indirect. My question is, Did they (Weil)change the thermostat to one WITHOUT a sensing well on the end??

Customer was concerned because water was too hot, when I went back I noticed the thermostat wouldn't shut off the zone. I pulled the cover off and discovered the sensing conductor either no longer has a sensing BULB on the end OR its broken off in the bottom of the well.

The old ones had a sensing bulb on the bottom.

Did they change design or am I fishing a broken one out of the well?

It would really help if I could still SEE. Having reading glasses in every room of the house and truck doesn't help either.

Robert O'Connor/NJ

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Not sure if they changed

Is it still the round adjustable control on top? That will pop out of the top jacket if so, and you should see the coil of copper sensing tubing. Hint, if you smell what seems like model glue, it have been compromised. You should never bottom those out into the well, they will over heat. They should be less than 1/2 in
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Options
    billtwocase

I just looked it up. It would appear the top cover & knob is the same but thermostat slightly different. I got actual part but no picture of part withy sensing bulb seems to be available. The conductor on old model is bare copper (with bulb on end) new one is copper too but most of it is covered by plastic. Just about an inch  a half has nothing on it (bare & no bulb).

Didn't notice smell and this was installed right out of box. I didn't see the need to check if it was brand new (silly me).

Dumb question but are you are stating the end should be up from the bottom of dry well 1/2" right?

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • billtwocase
    Options
    Bob

If they haven't changed the design, then yes to not bottoming out the sensor. The cooler water is towards the bottom of the tank, and you will find that it will run much hotter than expected. If it is too close to the top, then it will have the opposite effect. It will most likely run out of hot water that way. One would think that out of the box, all should be ready to go, but human error can be all too common when they are assembled. I think they are still a Phase tank, but as I said, I haven't used their tanks in years. Some never give problems, others that I put in did. I am curious about a possible aquastat change
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Options
    Billtwocase

The "new" bulb must have broken off, and I can't get it out (right now) either. I had an old thermostat laying around and so I got that in there for now. Probably a bit high in the tube but at least it will turn the pump off.

I don't believe this is the "new" tank although it did change slightly. One thing I noticed is they don't give you the long shank T&P with it (at least it wasn't in the box) and the air eliminator is now 1/2" instead of 1/4".

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • billtwocase
    Options
    are you

a good fisherman Bob? You may be able to fish it out, or if not, I think you may need to remove the well. I think they have been 1/2" tapping for air elimination. Good luck, and certainly let your supplier know that they owe you at least a new aquastat for this. Dinner and drinks would be good too
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Options
    Billtwocase

I made a few attempts at retrieving the broken off bulb without success. The supplier has been contacted and has to order new well but does have aqua-stat.

The air eliminator tapping was and still is 1/2", the air eliminator they give you now is a 1/2" thread (used to be 1/4" and you had to bush it down).

As far as dinner for this issue?? I'm not gonna hold my breath although they have been VERY good to me over the years and have gotten a bunch of dinners out of them in the past. Good people who stand behind their product line.

Thanks for the responses Billtwocase!

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • billtwocase
    Options
    Welcome Bob

and good luck to you. You can isolate the tank, relieve both pressure sides, heating and domestic, and remove the well. A deep socket will do. I have no doubt that you will refill the domestic first, and boiler supply second. 
This discussion has been closed.