Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air in toe-kick heater

Options
re8
re8 Member Posts: 13
We have an oil-fired hot-water system (soon to be replaced with gas - see other post) with a separate zone for two toe-kick heaters in our kitchen (Beacon-Morris Twinflo). One of the toe-kicks has a tendency to fill up with air. We've had a plumber out to drain the air once or twice, and he recommended installing a Spirovent. Will this do the trick, or is there a better way to drain air from this part of the system?

Comments

• JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    where is the air comming from?

A spirovent installed properly should help but anytime I keep getting air in a system I look first for where it may be comming from. For instance it there currently an air eliminator that may be allowing air into the system when the pump kicks on?

Just a thought.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Air:

The system pressure is probably too low and is letting air into the system through open float vents that are now sucking in air and not venting air.

You could also have a bladder/compression tank that has failed and there is no place for thermal expansion to go. The pressure builds up from water expanding, and contracting. Rather than pull a large vacuum on the system, the air is forced in through any place it can. Then, when the system comes on, the air is circulated through the system. You will probably find that the tow kick heaters are the first convenient place that the air can collect after going for a ride through the system.

My take on the situation.

But very open to alternative suggestions.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    must not be

pumping away, or has an air scoop on your system. Pics will help. It must be first in line
This discussion has been closed.