Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

splicing pex tubing

Options
Kestrel
Kestrel Member Posts: 102
I'm faced with a bit of a quandary.  I have two more joist-space loops to run, 3/8 pex, each about 250 feet.  I have a piece that is 170 feet long, and two unused rolls of 400 feet.  I would love to save the $$$ and only use one of the new rolls, but that would mean splicing together the tubing somewhere on the run.

Would anyone do that?  I'm thinking some sort of 2-sided Wirsbo fitting, as opposed to a sharkbite or something else.  I was thinking that if I did do this, I would try to make sure that it was somewhere I could put an access door.

Is failure of a fitting like this a big worry?  Is/are there other reasons not to do this?

thanks!

Comments

• Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    Options
    no worries

As long as you used the manufacturers recommend fittings its no big deal. I wouldn't do an access door unless it was in a closet but if not, just make a map of where the splice is and leave it in the installation manual and paperwork. I've done it many times with no issues.
  • mike parnell
    mike parnell Member Posts: 42
    Options
    Splicing pex

Hi,

I did it a few years ago on my radiant floors ,I just drilled a hole in the floor and made the connection  below the floor joists so if there was an issue it could be fixed, the floors are 1 1/2" concrete over wood with 1/2" pex tubing. Havent had any problems with that design, radiant floors are the best.... Mike in Hopkinton
This discussion has been closed.