Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

STEAM BOILER PRESSURE GAUGE BEHAVIOR

Options
JJ8900
JJ8900 Member Posts: 2
Hi, we have a new burnham independence IN4 boiler which was installed in July 2011.  We keep temp at 71F all the time since we have young kids.  The boiler runs for 20 minutes every time and cuts off on pressuretrol I believe (cut out 2.5 psi & cut in subtractive differential 1.5 psi) then it runs for another 5 mintues and cuts off on thermostat.  When weather is cold outside like 35F or below, the pressure gauge shows 2.5 psi when cuts off on pressure after 20 minutes then it starts again around 2.0 psi... which is stange... then for some reason, the needle on the gauge starts going down a little bit for 5 minutes.  When the boiler is off, the gauge shows zero.  When weather is warmer (40s & 50s), the same boiler runs for the same 20 minutes but the pressure gauge shows between 4 or 5 psi.  We have the original 1-30 psi gauge.  Is the pressure gauge defective?  Is it possible to get different psi readings for the same 20 minutes?  Any input will be appreciated.  Thank you!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    pressure gauge

if this is the standard 0-30 psi gauge, then it is not very accurate at the lower pressures which steam needs to operate effectively [>1.5 psi]. it is far better to add a 0-3 psi gauge [gaugestore.com] in addition to the standard required gauge.

when you can accurately see the pressure, try to reduce the setting on the pressuretrol to cut in at .5 psi, and cut out at 1.5. at the same time, take off the pressuretrol, and clean the pigtail, which if clogged will allow the pressure to rise up out of control. you may also need more main venting.--nbc
  • JJ8900
    JJ8900 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Question...

Thanks! I will order one soon.  Is 20 min enough time to build 2.5 psi (hopefully it is not 4 or 5 psi)?  It takes about 15 min to reach all the radiators.  I dont think we have a main vent in the basement. I will try to get a tech to take a look.  Our original installer wasn't too helpful.  He thinks 4psi is fine... sigh~~
This discussion has been closed.