Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steampipe noise dampening

Options
kencl
kencl Member Posts: 3
Hi Folks,

Looking for some help to solve a long term problem with our apartment.  The steam pump(s) send a vibration down the pipes which results in a very annoying high pitched ringing noise.  This noise gets so bad at times that we find ourselves restricted to one room.  The landlords, Killam properties (<a href="http://www.killamproperties.com/">http://www.killamproperties.com/</a>), flat out deny that there is a problem, yet their own maintenance staff have taken me into the boiler room and shown me the pump(s) which cause the noise!  I want to hand them a permanent, complete solution to the problem.

My first though was, hey, why not simply replace a small section (6 or 8 inches) of pipe with steam hose?  The vibration would not pass through the hose and solve the problem completely.  At least that's my guess.

What would you do to fix such a problem?  (no, not call a lawyer lol, I'm looking for a technical solution to the problem :).

Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Need pictures.

Hi- It woulod help a lot if you could post some pictures of the heating system - The boiler and connecting piping and the pumps. Are you sure this is steam system and not a  hot water system?

- Rod
  • kencl
    Options
    could be tricky

steam vs hot water? I'll have to ask. Is there a reason you think it's hot water rather than steam?

As for the pictures, that could take a while. I'll see what I can do.
  • Rod
    Options
    Need More Info

Why it maybe a hot water system ? - Steam systems generally don't have pumps. Maybe we can tell more if you give us some information about your radiators. How many pipes lead to each radiator and what size are the pipes? What material (iron, copper, plastic) is used for these pipes?  Does the radiator have a vent? The problem is that there are many different configurations for both steam and hot water heating systems so without a lot more information about your heating system it would really hard to give you an answer. Having photos of the boiler, radiators, "pumps" and system piping are usually the best place to start. ("A photograph is worth a thousand words!")

- Rod
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    whiny pipes

when the maintenance staff showed you the boiler room, did they admit a problem, or merely show you the pump, as if to explain where the noise comes from. have the maintenance people heard the noise from inside your apartment?

how loud is the noise? is it constant, or intermittent?

generally speaking, the system should be pretty quiet, unless some abnormal condition [deferred maintenance?] exists which makes something more noisy than it should be.

picture will help a lot.--nbc
  • kencl
    edited January 2012
    Options
    you were right

You were right Rod.  It's hot water, not steam.  Do you want me to delete this thread and start again in a different forum, or perhaps a moderator can move it?

The maintenance staff showed me the pump and said they had changed a part 3 times.  My brother in law used to do this type of maintenance work.  He said that there needs to be a precise alignment between the pump and the pipe, and that getting it right is tricky.  He mentioned using shims to raise one side or other.

There are two sounds, a grinding sound and a high pitched ring.  The ring is a penetrating sound.  The loudness varies throughout the day.  There are times it is intolerable. 
  • Rod
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hot Water System Problems

Hi- It's okay to just leave this thread here. As this section is more devoted to steam it would probably be better to start a new thread on the Main Wall as there are more hot water guys over there.  The need for detailed information will be the same so I would take pictures of the system showing the pumps and the piping connected to the pumps. Take the pictures from different angles and stand back a bit so that the complete piping is in the picture. This allows the person looking at the picture to trace out the piping's routing. If need be they can then blow the picture up to see the detail.

Get as much information on the equipment that you can. Look for labels on the equipment that give the manufacturer's name and the model number. especially the boiler and the pumps or any other notable equipment.  If it can be identified take a picture of the pump that is causing the problem along with any information about it you can find. Also mention things like whether the noise happens all the time when the pump is operating or just when it starts up. There are a lot of experts on this board so if provided with enough information I'm sure they can help you. I'm a steam homeowner myself so my knowledge I'm afraid is just limited to steam.

Hot Water systems are supposed to be quiet so the management needs to get a good heating professional in there to straighten things out. If necessary the tech rep of the company who makes the boiler can be called and have them come out and take a look at it. There is no need for the you to put up with any noises like the one you describe.

Good Luck!

- Rod.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    loud noises not normal

when this building was first built, the first occupants would not have tolerated a loud noise from the system, and neither should the present occupants. the fact that they have replaced a few parts several times shows that some more experienced professional help is needed.

in mechanical systems, noise always signals a waste of energy, and a grinding noise could signal a dangerous fire-safety situation due to friction. will they finally make a proper repair before or after something catches fire?--nbc 
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Normal Practice

It is normal practice in the US for the mains to be connected to a base mounted pump by means of a semi-flexible device to dampen or lessen the transmition of vibrations.

Also, proper pump aligment is critical and it is not unusual for shims to be required.  If this process is not done correctly, it will result in noisy operation and early failure of the seals and bearings.

The owner / manager should require that their maintenance contractor correct the job.  They did not get what they paid for.  If they do not do that, I would request to be let out of my lease without penalty. 
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.