Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

adding radiators

Options
cn30
cn30 Member Posts: 34
I need to add a couple of radiators to my one-pipe system. For some reason, the upstairs apartment has 8 radiators (one for each room) while the downstairs apartment has only five (two bedrooms and the kitchen have no radiator). This seems to be the original set-up.

My question is, would it be okay to tap the upstairs risers where they pass through the downstairs bedrooms? The risers are one-inch pipes and each only serves a small bedroom radiator in the upstairs apartment. There’s no simple way to tap a main because they’re covered in asbestos and in any case would have to be cut (they’re old, rusty pipes that are not going to unscrew). Would there be a problem with cutting out a 3-inch section of the riser, inserting a t-joint that just fits in the gap, and securing both ends with rubber sleeves and hose clamps? The only other option I see would be to perform the same operation on a main pipe in the basement after removing 4-5 inches of asbestos insulation (which I can’t do myself legally).

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Short answer no.

In they method you describe, no don't do it. 1 pipe steam is by far the least forgiving heating system there is.

However if the boiler and piping is thoroughly evaluated by a STEAM PROFESSIONAL, and they find the existing risers and runouts, as well as the mains and boiler can handle the added load, then yes add a radiator. But, do it with threaded steal piping. The riser may have to be sectioned out, and rebuilt, but pipe clamps do not a permanent connection make.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    rubber sleeves????!!!!!!!!

If you are talking about using mission couplings on a steam pipe, you've got to be kidding me. I wouldn't want to be in that house when the mission couplings eventually fail.

Do it right the first time. You'd have to tap off the main. A 1 inch riser is only going to be able to supply 45 sq.ft. of EDR.  What size is the already connected radiator and what size are you looking to connect?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    making the setup work

at one time the radiators on the ground floor were thought to be adequate. perhaps the system is in need of some work to make it as effective as it once was. probably the ground floor was not losing heat as was the 2nd floor out the roof. maybe some extra insulation would keep the unradiatored rooms warm.--nbc
  • JK_3
    JK_3 Member Posts: 240
    Options
    before you think about adding rads....

Before you think about adding radiators to an existing system there are several things to consider

What is the existing heat load in feet of steam for the radiators and piping ?

What size boiler is there in feet of steam ?

What are the heating needs of the rooms you want to add radiators to ?

Is the existing piping large enough ?

If after answering all of the above, everything works out , then any alterations to the system should be done properly.

If you need help to figure out these answers we will need more information and pictures of the boiler, near boiler piping, mains and returns as well as a diagram of the existing configuration and some idea of where you want to add the new radiators.

It sounds like a lot because if we don't consider all of the above it would not matter how good the work is.

There are many professionals on this site that will try to help you along if we have the information that we need.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• cn30
    Options
    sizes

The already connected radiator is 36 inches high, 3 columns, and 5 fins, which is more than the upstairs bedroom needs. I would be looking to connect a 20 inch high, 2 column, 8 fin radiator.

Not sure how to tap off the main without repiping half the system and hiring an asbestos abatement company. Any thoughts?
  • cn30
    Options
    the setup doesn't make sense to me

The thing is, radiators are missing in two bedrooms. The kitchen I don't worry about. During the day the tenant can leave the bedroom doors open and the rooms can be heated by the dining room and living room, respectively. It's at night that there's a problem, and I can't see how it could ever not have been a problem. The tenant leaves her bedroom door open at night and her daughter sleeps in the living room.
This discussion has been closed.