Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replacing two boilers with one..?

Options
Hi all,

I have units, both ready to quit and found a Burnham MegaSteam that looks like it could easily handle both side of my 2 family (each currently with it's own system).

My question is, can I join these two systems to be fed from this one new boiler. The capacity of the boiler is enough to handle the square footage of the house, so I imagine it is more a matter of properly tying in the two systems.

any issues I should be concerned with?

Ideas?

Thanks very much for the help, I am no expert, but rather a home owner in huge need of help!!

Comments

• Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Two to One

Hi- You've probably already considered this but the firt thing that comes to mind if it is a "2 family" is who is paying the heating bills? If you ever plan to rent out one or both units, having a separate heating system for each unit makes having the tenant pay their own heating much easier. As you are thinking about a Megasteam boiler you are obviously using oil and with the way the Iranian situation is going future oil prices may be a big concern.

As to  connecting the two systems into one - That should be fairly easy to do though it depends a lot on the location and layout of your present systems. The most critical thing would be to find a heating pro that really understands steam heating as this is much more that just connecting a few pipes together. It requires someone who really understands steam system design. The piping itself should be quite simple if's just that you have to know what you are doing steam wise and few heating pros do.

Let us know where you are located and we might be able to suggest someone to you. You might also want to take a look in the Find a Contractor section at the top  of the page as there are some very good steam pros listed there. If you don't have them already I would suggest you get some of the steam books listed in the Shop section of this website.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.