Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can the Burnham MPO 84 be upfired

Jake2010
Jake2010 Member Posts: 24
Does anyone know if the MPO 84 can be upfired or the MPO 115 be downfired.My heat loss would recommend the MPO 84, however I am concerned that my HW demand may require more down the road.  To my understanding the boilers are relatively the same. My thinking is that if they could be upfired or downfired (with minimal investment) it may give me some flexibility should I end up needing more BTU's when my kids are older, and actually less when they move out (if they ever do).  Any thoughts?

P.S.

40 gallon indirect which I would run on priority with mixing valve and higher temp to increase capacity.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Go with MPO 84

If indirect is of concern, get a bigger indirect 60 or 80 gallon, or a tandem 40 with the existing.

That is the only way to go.

Never oversize the boiler for dhw needs, this is a huge mistake. Leads to short cycling, equipment fatigue, and inefficient burns.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    MPO 84

Size the boiler for the heating load of the house. The Burnham Alliance AL35SL delivers 200 Gallons the first hour with 99,000 BTU input. With the MPO84 you should get about 160 gallons the first hour. Make sure the contractor makes the indirect water have priority and when they pipe the indirect in make sure they run 1" copper supply and return even if the fittings on the indirect are 3/4". copper 3/4" carries only 40,000 BTU and 1" carries 72,000 BTU. Use 1.6 GPM or 1.5 GPM shower head and reduce the lava faucets from 2.2 GPM  to 1.5 GPM with reduced aerators.
  • Jason_13
    Jason_13 Member Posts: 304
    Upfiring

Burnham does not want the firing rate changed on any of their current oil products.
  • russiand
    russiand Member Posts: 73
    I think they are very similar boilers

I think the difference between 84 and 115 is marginal. They are physically the same boiler with a slightly differently configured burner and an extra set of baffles on the 115. So I would think that if done correctly one could be turned into the other and vice versa.
This discussion has been closed.