Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Which vents should go where

Options
jw0328
jw0328 Member Posts: 1
I have recently replaced most of the vents on my single pipe steam system. Since doing so it seams the system is losing too much water. I do not have an automatic fill and need to refill almost every other day and every day when it is cold. However, I do not hear any hissing coming from any of the vents and no of the valves show signs of leaks.

What are the best vents to use and if they come is sizes, such as maid-o-mist, should I follow the recommendation on the pamphlet? My house is 2.5 stories but under 1500 sq ft.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    Venting

Air vents should not have an effect on the water level, once the condensate stars returning.

I would recommend that once you find a brand you like, use it through out. Pay attention to what they may call "operating pressure" or "drop away pressure"

Also, when selecting radiator vents, larger volume vents should be used on larger radiators. If all radiators are the same size, then one size fits all.

Also there should be a main vent near the end of the steam main after the last radiator feed.

This is important, what pressure is the boiler running at?

Water level issue.

Can you take a photo of the boiler and the piping and post it? I may be able to see what is causing the water issue.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    venting/water loss

I would not follow the reccomendation on the pamphlet.  It'd be helpful to get more information on your system (ie. where the rads are, riser lengths/sizes, mains length/sizes, rads sizes, etc).  But I've found venting the radiators very slow and the mains very fast works best. The reccomendations in the pamphlet I feel vent the radiators too fast. I wouldn't vent any radiator faster than a 5, preferably a 4.  Or if you are willing to spend a bit more money use hoffman #40 everywhere and then tweak a few rads up if necessary.

Check valve packings, radiator valve unions, and wet returns for leaks.
This discussion has been closed.