Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton #1 problem?

Options
BobC
BobC Member Posts: 5,479
When I was down recording data in my boiler runtime log I noticed my 1 year old Gorton #1 main vent was not sealing shut when it sensed steam, it was mostly closed but not all the way. that vent is probably a little over a year old. Tapping it with screw driver handle sealed it just fine but I can't be down there everytime the boiler starts making steam to rap it.

The boiler cutout is set to 12oz and the sight gauge only moves about 1/4" when producing steam so it should be pretty happy. I picked up a 12' nipple and a few fittings to move it away from the end of the main and a little up from where it originally was.

Today i removed the vent and boiled it in vinegar for a half hour and I plumbed it about a foot from where it was to make sure it wasn't getting hit by any slugs of water. I made sure the slope is right so any water can find it's way back to the boiler. If it shows any signs of still not sealing I'll order a new one and hope it lasts longer than this one did. The attached photo shows what I did to hopefully fix it.

I know some folks have had problems with the Gortons and I wonder if this is one of those problem children that snuck out the factory door when nobody was looking?

Bob
Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
3PSI gauge

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    CLR

CLR is what I use to clean vents.  I soak them overnite.  It's amazing all the crud that comes out of them.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    It's all i had at the time.

All had at the time was white vinegar, I'll have to pick up some CLR just in case.

So far it seems fine, I'll insulate that new pipe over the weekend.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
This discussion has been closed.