Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wanted to show off my plumbers work

Options
pete_5
pete_5 Member Posts: 4
New system old house

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,448
    Options
    nice neat....

work... he is a circ-a-holic. The electrical consumption could have been immensely reduced w/ an couple of delta P circ and some zone valves. Is that a solar HWH?
  • rockhound57
    rockhound57 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    well done

I agree it may have been more energy efficient, but any craftsmanship is a pleasure to behold, thanks for posting
  • rockhound57
    rockhound57 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    well done

I agree it may have been more energy efficient, but any craftsmanship is a pleasure to behold, thanks for posting
  • nugs
    nugs Member Posts: 77
    Options
    Ridiculous or sublime?

Impressive.  do you live on a submarine by chance?

I'm going to go off on a bit of a rant here and it has nothing to do with the quality of the work shown above which is excellent indeed.  However, I can only imagine the amount of money and time that has gone into this heating system and while I certainly hope it performs to expectations I can not believe that it will ever pay it's expense off.  This growing trend of taking up 16' of wall space to mount pumps, controls and valves has reached the pinnacle  of absurdity. 
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    System

Real nice work, and the Electrical work is nice as well
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    I think it looks

Beautiful. Just 2 things:

1. What is this for--meaning, school, church, apts, etc.

2. Can you post the upcoming next job like this? I'd like to go get some Taco stock :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,772
    Options
    Wow, very nice work. Lotta pumps although

Well done on the execution. The circulator replacement bill will be high and will keep giving and giving although. As others said, the work is impeccable!
  • alot of circs

Yes I will agree it is alot of circs.Electrical use in this house is not that important their was over 210 can lights installed in the addition to the house.and yes i could have installed a couple circs and alot of zone vaves but this house is in new york and i am in new hampshire about two and a half hours away.if the looze one circ now i'm not leaving my house and drinving 2 1/2 hrs. to replace a circ at midnight ,i' m leaving in the mournig.this was about a 2 million dollar addition to an already really nice home.about six thousand sguare feet..over 8000 feet of radiant tubing in slab as well as plated.snow melt.solar hot water.their inground pool deck was to hot for their feet so we installed radiant heat tubing around their pool deck and pulled the cold water from the bottom of the pool and pumped thru the tubing and then dumped the hot water back into the pool thus cooling the deck and heating the pool,we also can sense if the pool is to hot and the pool slab is colder we cool the pool as well.plus the orginal house has cast iron baseboard.so this was a hard house to heat with a couple of circs.and yes it performs as well as it looks and the homeowner gives tours of his boiler room and has never complained about the circs.Thanks for the nice words i take great pride in what we do if it is a one zone system or 15.and i wire all my own work.won't let a electrician near it . thanks
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    Options
    very nice

very nice pipefitting , but .... as mentioned way too many circs, and I do

understand your reasoning , however I must ask , were there 15 different supply

temps also requiring all those Taco 5000's tempering valves??

Wasted hardware, one or two mixing valves could have used instead.
  • to many circs

yes i could have gotten away with a few less tempering valves, But this is a very expensive house as well as heating system and the customer is a lawyer.With that being said i wanted to have complete control over the heating system.We don't have any zones over shooting the tstats or any zones not reaching temp .again a lawyer
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Bryant

Beautiful work!  Considering your parameters (customer is a lawyer, 2-1/2 hrs. away), you're the smartest hydronicist on the block.  I admire the mechanic that can heat a 6,000 sq. ft. house including snow melt, solar hot water and brilliantly cool the pool deck.  I hope there was some left over of that $2 M to put in your pocket, young man.  (Yes, I know not all of that was yours.)

And I like the very polite way you respond to your detractors.  You are a gentleman.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • not easy

Thanks for the comment.my contractor told me he posted here.I was kinda surprised at the comments and i is hard not to take evence at the comments.but taking the distance to the job all the difference floor temps trying to heat over 6000 sguare feet of house with hardwood floors,carpet,tile,in slap radiant,snow melt,cast iron baseboard,I just could not figure out how to do it with two circs and one tempering valve.but thank you again the nice comments,and again he is a lawyer and he couldn't put on a 2 million dollar addition without suing a few people,I wasn't going to be one of them.he must be good at what he does.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    Dedication appreciated

Thanks for the pictures and descriptions of your well-done jobs. I am happy to know that there is a continuing interest in excellence in the trade, beyond the few regular contributors here, and now you are one of those becoming regular contributors here!--nbc
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Options
    Time

How many man hours did that take?
  • nugs
    nugs Member Posts: 77
    Options
    If you got the money honey.....We got the time

Hydronic Separator.  VFD pumps.......Bob's your uncle
  • how many hours

Alot ,we have it pretty well down to a science.The header was the easy part.Running all the radiant and plates and making the headers up for the radiant zones was alot of the work.puttung the radiant around the pool deck at 4" centers was time consuming as well.What you see is what i like doing the most.
This discussion has been closed.