Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cracked radiators

Options
JohnT79
JohnT79 Member Posts: 3
What would cause hot water radiators to randomly crack. I replaced one about 3 months ago after a power outage( just figured it froze). A month later another one cracked on the same floor. And now one just cracked on a different zone. They were all working & bleed, didn't loose power etc

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Cracked:

Either age or they froze.

Send pictures of cracked ones. It has to be cold for quite some time for them to split from ice.
  • JohnT79
    Options
    cracked radiators

It has not been that cold. But very unusual to have 3 radiators start to leak within 3 months
  • JohnT79
    Options
    cracked radiators

It has not been that cold. But very unusual to have 3 radiators start to leak within 3 months
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Not Unusual:

Not that unusual.

Three years ago, I bought a Makita battery drill set with Li-Ion batteries (2), a frill/driver and a charger. I doubt that I had 25 charge cycles on the batteries. I went to drill some holes and stuck a battery on the charger, The battery was bad but still working. It just wouldn't charge. I tried the second battery. It wouldn't charge either but the yellow light was on. I tried it on another like charger. One battery e=was bad, the other charged up. I can get another charger from Home Depot for $100.00 and another battery for #75.00. I should have bought a Milwaukee.

Post pictures of the cracked radiators. We will be interested to see them.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    multiple leakers

could there have been a spike in pressure which shoved several marginal ones over the edge?--nbc
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,448
    Options
    could have been ...

a number of factors over time. They might have frozen a long time ago and stressed them...maybe more than once. Tell us more about what you have for a set up. Boiler, piping, controls, age, how long you have been there, history....etc.
This discussion has been closed.