Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

in-floor in ceiling

Options
buzzy
buzzy Member Posts: 8
i have a customer that has ran his own in floor lines,2 zones come through the floor in his boiler room,the third zone comes through the floor 30ft from the boiler room on the other end of the house,he expects me to run my primary loop up from the boiler, along the ceiling,and drop down to my 3rd zone,then he will insulate and bulk head lines.

Up 7ft,straight 30ft,down 7ft,supply and return.

I think i need an air vent at the highest point[which of course wil eventually be hidden in his bulk head,great].

A fellow contractor with a few more years experience than myself  seems to think i won't need a air vent at the high point as long as i work all the air out of the system on start up.

Any advise would be appreciated. 

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Depends

So long as you have the proper flow rate to get any air back to your air elimination device should be okay. All though a vent would be nice insurance policy. I have radiant ceilings in my home. No vents in any of the loops, and all the air gets back to the basement. So up 8' , across ceiling 200', and down 8' back into an 1 1/4" return manifold where the bleeders are for the loop.

Its about maintaining proper velocity 4.5 fps.

Gordy
  • buzzy
    buzzy Member Posts: 8
    Options
    done

i have completed the job and did not put an air elimination in the cieling,works fine now,took a long time to get air back,actually i had to open my pump flange and have a second person run the valves on my loop,a little messy,not bad or recommended,after a couple days had air again,dropped a bleeder into my manifold at the second,one week maybe a little more and everything looks good no more air yet,i know air elimination is a good spot to leak but is definetly required in some cases were it can not be accessed later easily,any other suggestions on bleeder locations easy for homeowner i'd be glad to hear 
This discussion has been closed.