Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

air on wrong side

Options
1968 Member Posts: 1
I am having a problem with a hot water coil that was added to an air handler. The coil is 2 rows of 3/8 tube split into 3 sections with 7/8 header in a reverse return. The middle section does not flow and collects air resulting in poor performance. I have no design data or make, model for this coil. Is there any one who I can contact with the physical details that can help find the proper flow rate and a pressure drop through the coil? I would like to eliminate the possibility of improper flow before condemning this coil.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Air on one side/Flow:

I don't think that you have enough flow pressure on the coil and it is possibly piped wrong. Is there anything else piped on the circuit? Is is piped as a direct return when it should have been a reverse return?

Mark Etherton has a great analogy about his foolish relative who goes around in circles.

Post pictures of the piping and such. And how much system pressure are you running? Maybe it needs to be higher. Is the gauge accurate? I changed one yesterday where the gauge was reading 10# when it was actually zero. The owner had replaced the circulators twice because they didn't flow. The Extrol tank was also shot and had no air. The upper floors would get air-bound and the pumps would run hot until they were toast.
This discussion has been closed.