Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old but works great

Options
John Mills_5
John Mills_5 Member Posts: 952
Been meaning to post these pictures. Ancient boiler, Crane I believe, services a big old house in an historical area of Indy. The house has big old radiators built in the wall plus it has an air handler with a hot water coil. Can be heated either way. I think the current owner uses both. The air handler had an electric air cleaner built in which is dead. There's a 4 ton A coil above it. AH runs 24/7, line voltage stat in bedroom cycles the compressor. 2 original low voltage stats turn on the pumps. We replaced 1 pump with a new Taco couple hears ago, other one is still purring though the owner called last week and said he squirted a little oil in it and it quieted down. We talked about replacement but his gas bill is amazingly low for the size of the house and construction so it would be a very long payback. So as long as the boiler holds out...

The refrigeration condenser is for a walkin built with the house, not being used at the moment anyway.

Comments

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,215
    Options
    Great

Good to see nice old stuff out there that was installed right and serviced well. 

Too many of the jobs I see were garbage when they were installed fifty years ago! 

I like the valves on the manifold.  Quality work!
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    that is a beast

I still have a couple of the vertical Thrush circs like that taco, and a new Honeywell thermostat like the one in your pics, still in it's box
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Thermostat

Let me know if you ever want to get rid of that clock thermostat. My parents house still has the original one installed in 1955. Who knows, it might stop working someday!

I wonder how many systems installed today will still be around 50 years from now. The way things are made these days, really doubt many will survive half that long.
This discussion has been closed.