Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

staple up insulation

Options
slantfin
slantfin Member Posts: 1
Doing a job with staple panels, when contractor installed insulation he put paper side down with more than 6 inches of space between insulation and floor, will this work effectively. I was taught to use foil back insulation facing up with about 3 inches of space. Do I tell client this is ok, or make the insulator do it over.

Thanks

Comments

• Magnehelic
    Magnehelic Member Posts: 63
    Options
    that really depends

on which type of radiation you are using.  That type of insulation (6" of dead space) would work great for the UltraFin staple up (tubing hangs 1.5-2" from under the floor and has fin convectors that clamp around the tubing ever 30-50 inches depending on the heat loss).  For the standard staple up that is actually touching the floor.......I'd not want so much dead space.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Ultra-Fin

Hadn't heard of Ultra-Fin - had to go look it up.  Looks interesting - do you have performance numbers from a job you could share?

With traditional aluminum plates contacting the floor, we have found that wet spray cellulose performs quite well, as do the foamed-in-place polymers.  Anything that comes in batts leaves air gaps, which measurably decreases transfer efficiency.
  • Magnehelic
    Magnehelic Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Actually

We are primarily boiler retrofit contractors.........we don't actually lay a lot of tubing.......the last tubing we ran was with Ultra Fin .........and the main reason for that was that that particular system was mostly fin tube baseboard, and often needed 165-180 degree water temps.  Ultra Fin is about the only system that you can get away with that on.
This discussion has been closed.