Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

electronic ignitors

Options
sparkie
sparkie Member Posts: 49
Has there been any issues with solid state ignitors? Ive heard that with constant ignition, you are better off with the old standard iron core transformer. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?   Thank you all and happy new year!!

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    why

would you use constant on anything other than the one or two unit's who call for it? Just curious..
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    unless

unless you have a separate cad cell relay, it will be constant ignition. There are still many 8182's out there. As you know,they are not only the aquastat, they are also the safety control, and have no means of controlling ignition only. They can be upgraded, but not all want to spend that kind of money to separate the two. I have gone back to tar transformers for years. There is a huge difference in reliability and longevity.
  • sparkie
    Options
    electronic ignitors

So you are indeed saying that the old transformers are  more reliable correct?  By the way, the unit in question is a 26 year old Williamson furnace with a beckett af burner. Replaced transformer with a Carlin ignitor in 2004. Now i have to replace it again. Im going back to the standard ignition transformer. Thank you for your response.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    you do

have the option to replace the 3 wire cad cell relay to a newer control and run it interupted ignition on your unit. Not only will your ignitor/transformers last longer, but it will also save a few bucks on your electric bill.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    another plus

you will have a pre/post purge with a shorter safety timing
  • Dave M
    Dave M Member Posts: 36
    Options
    Relays handle current OK?

If you have a Beckett Genesis controller with a separate relay for the ignitor and you replace the solid state ignitor with the old style transformer are those relays in the controller more than adequate to handle the increased current? The transformer primary windings would draw more current than the solid state ignitor. I would like to replace the solid state ignitor with a transformer not just for reliability but because the old style transformers will reduce the combustion noise during trial fire time. I am assuming there are no issues with the relays in the 7505B1500 controllers and using the older transformers but I don't want to take anything for granted and would like to hear if there are any issues. I would think it would be a safe and direct swap. Just more expensive.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    I've never

found that to be a problem. Your motor draws more on start up and run
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options
    But

There is a different circuit controlling the motor vs the ignitor.

I track call backs at our company, and I continue to see multiple calls at the same location, the final call the ignitor is changed. Problem solved. Usually it's replaced because no other problem is spotted.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    They are flukey yes

but he was asking if using an electronic ignitor vs. transformer would make a difference with a Genisys, or any of the newer cad cell controls. My answer is no, there shouldn't be a problem with excessive draw, never had on here.
  • sparkie
    Options
    amp draw

The honeywell 7284u  is rated for  10FLA  for the burner relay and 3amps on the ignitor relay.  Typical transformer has about 240 watt  input vs about 40 for the ignitor. Either way you should be fine.  I  would expect the Genisys to be about the same.  Personally,  I like the Honeywell, but thats just my opinion. I agree with Bill.
This discussion has been closed.