Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad Thermostat Placement?

Options
I live in a fairly new house - constructed 4 years ago. Our HVAC is a dual zone - 1 zone for upstairs and 1 zone for downstairs. When it gets to wintertime, we have a issue with heating the upstairs rooms. The thermostat upstairs is placed at the top of the stairs directly beneath the return (the upstairs return is 20x20 vs 16x16 downstairs). This is on the end of the hall.

When the heat is on downstairs, this location is easily 8-10 degrees warmer due to the air flowing up from downstairs. Thus, the heat upstairs rarely ever comes on, making our bedrooms very cold. Also, it looks like our system uses both returns regardless of it the upstairs or downstairs zone is on.

We've been able to alleviate the problem slightly by lowering the downstairs temp even more at night to prevent the heat from turning on down there as often, but the colder it gets outside the harder it is to keep doing this. The builder who built the house and even the HVAC sub are both out of business (hard to imagine why). We've had 2 HVAC companies come out and they both want to re-do the ductwork, etc. to the tune of several thousand dollars.

I'm hoping maybe simply moving the upstairs thermostat a little further down the hall (like 5-8 feet) could help out?

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Move T-stat

If it is unfinished attic space above,it is easy to fish the wire up,over, then back down to whichever room you choose for the thermostat.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 341
    Options
    also

Maybe you could mount the thermostat on the other side of the wall if its a suitable location. That would be the easiest since the wire is already there.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    maybe

a wireless Honeywell system would work for you if the wiring is not accessible. 
  • FoothillBrewer
    FoothillBrewer Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks everyone

There is unfinished attic space above and the thermostat is actually right where there is a 'T' formed with the wall it is on and a wall in our master bedroom. I might be able to get away with moving it with very little work, but it'd end up being place close to a corner in our bedroom. I don't have a problem with that, though - can't be a worse location than it is now.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    cheers

Best Wishes and don't drop the wire!
This discussion has been closed.