Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Duel Fuel conversion in NYC

Options
Happy New Year all,

I was thinking about converting to a duel fuel solution for a building we manage in NYC.

The building is a 24 apt that is currently getting heat and hot water from a 1680000btu FST 40 boiler with a carlin 701 CRD burner.

Thanks to everyone's help and input I have made huge progress in updating the building with installing 11 gorton #2s, installing missing insulation and installing a vaporstat to control the High/Low burner feature that was never utilized in over 15 years. Now the whole building heats evenly with just under 1PSI when it used to cut out at 2.5 PSI.

Now I wanted to come to you again for some more advise/input. Last year before my upgrade I burned just over 13K gallons of fuel. I suspect with my upgrades and what I have seen so far I was able to cut at least a thousand gallons on average. This still amounts to over $30K for fuel. I have just converted a smaller 6 unit building to gas and saw astronomical saving. I was thinking of going to duel fuel option for this building and wanted to know if anyone has done it before and if it was worthwhile.

Based on the prices I see now from both buildings using natural gas could reduce costs by as much as 30% while I would still have the option to use oil. Furthermore, I would be able to use hot water heaters instead of heating up a 12 gallon/hour boiler for hot water.

Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Pete
This discussion has been closed.