Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil tank noise

Joel M
Joel M Member Posts: 64
I dont recall hearing this before, but last week I had my basement 275 gal tank filled. I noticed a noise a few times like a "gong" for lack of better description. The oil truck delivery guy was new, a younger guy. I checked the filler cap outside and it was tight, socked down. The other guys always leave it loose. I loosened it up and still heard the noise a few times. Is this related to expansion/contraction? the weather has been mild for this time of year in CT.

Comments

• Mac_R
    Mac_R Member Posts: 117
    Bong

Nothing to worry about.  Just make sure your vents are clear.  Some tanks just do that.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    or

check you tank leg/bracket condition. The tank may be hanging by the piping. Also how close to a wall is the tank? There should always be at least 3 inches all around it
  • Joel M
    Joel M Member Posts: 64
    Tank noise

I looked at the legs, they appear to be good, good space from wall. I think the fact the vent pipe is not the larger diameter they require nowadays could be the reason. I had looked into the cost of replacing the tank and they told me the vent pipe would need to be increased, this tank is about 40 years old. No drips. Knock on wood. I have tank insurance but plan to replace it in the Spring. Never knew how much these things cost!
This discussion has been closed.