Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cracked Radiator Vent

Options
Big-Al_2
Big-Al_2 Member Posts: 263
I just thought I'd pass this along.  I still have a few Watts radiator vents I bought a few years back.  I replaced most of them because they were so loud and clanky when they closed, but I still had one in a downstairs bathroom.  Recently, i could hear a slight hiss from it, like it was failing to close.  I discovered an inch-long hairline crack along one side of it.  No, my boiler isn't running at excessive pressure.  I checked.  One more reason I won't buy Watts vents again.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,479
    Options
    Bad quality

My local hardware store started to carry them about a decade ago and they were all you could find at the big box stores. I bought a few and was not happy with them, I ended up buying a 6 pack of Hoffman's and have had no trouble with those.

I've heard of the Watts cracking before. Back in the 60's they made good stuff but since they went to China the quality just isn't there.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    gorton and jacobus

I've had Gorton and Jacobus leak around the perimeter of the vent where the can is pressed together, never had the cheapo watts split on me tho. I'll still use the Watts tho because they vent a bit more than a Gorton #4 but less than a #5.
This discussion has been closed.