Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CPVC diameter conundrum...

Options
kcopp
kcopp Member Posts: 4,448
when to replace a water heater last week in a Mfg. home... I went to hook into the existing cpvc line w/ a SS water heater connector and the sharkbite fitting would not go on easy at all. In fact it would not even take a std. 3/4" cpvc fitting either. Piping appears to be 3/4" Flowgard gold, sdr 11... normal stuff. But it has a slightly larger diameter that will not get inside a fitting. I ended up making it "work" by using a 3/4" Sea-tek coupling that I shaved part of the inside out and jammed it on w/ everything I had. I am not comfortable leaving it that way for long.... any thoughts? I do not think it froze as CPVC has little resistance to freezing. ty,kpc

Comments

• kcopp
    Options
    another thing....

I did notice when cutting into the tubing w/ the cpvc cutter it was VERY brittle. It did not cut clean. I ended up having to use a pull saw to get a square edge.
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    Options
    pvc dia.

Not schedule 40 ? Not CTS - copper tubing size?  Was it quest or cresline tubing? polyethelyne. Was it connected with copper crimp band type connectors?
  • kcopp
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It is/ was....

glued just like all cpvc I have seen. Said Flowgard gold and had the yellow stripe along the edge.
This discussion has been closed.