Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

HONEYWELL RELAY -hey tim sos !!

bob young
bob young Member Posts: 2,177
HONEYWELL RELAY R8222  Been experiencing more than a few nuisance no heat call with this relay being the culprit.  firstlly, why are they so unreliable. secondly could sopmeone define their exact purpose & if they are absolutely necessary for safe operation & can they be bypassed temporarily or permanently & safely.

Comments

• gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Bob. Are these the relays

On the steam boilers that isolate the thermostats?
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Relay

To me it looks like when the thermostat calls for heat it energizes the coil of the relay. This causes the normally open contacts to close and energize the gas valve.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    'stat relay R8222

yes, i neglected to state that is a thermostat relay.  a very annoying 'stat relay, i may add !!  lol  . it actually happened to me in my house this morning. !!!  how revolting !  can't turn a buck on a no heat call when its your own !!!   happy new year !
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    i believe they are there

due to some people using power stealing thermostats which did something weird with the dampers if i recall..i have on occassion bypassed them when a standard two wire t-stat was used and had no issues..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    bad contacts

a mechanical relay?  I'd guess contacts go bad after a while.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    edited January 2012
    Contact ratings

Depending on which model you are using, the contacts could be the problem. The R4222A models have contacts designed to switch high power 120 or 240 VAC loads. Using this relay to switch 24V control circuits will be a problem as the contacts will not self clean. Oxide builds up on the contacts and eventually the circuit won't switch.

According to the spec sheet, the R4222K has pilot duty contacts rated to switch low voltage circuits, which would be a better choice.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/60-0000s/60-2056.pdf
This discussion has been closed.