Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

staple up snafu

BrianP
BrianP Member Posts: 1
I have a staple up floor warming installation that needs more btus to keep up would increasing flow ( larger pump ) increase btu output. insulating contractor did nor insulate under tubing.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    What is

supply temp to the floor?

Staple up usually requires a higher temp to deliver btu's b/c transfer rate is lousy.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    How do YOU spell SNAFU????

I spell it S T A P L E U P. Pronounced Situation Normal, All eFed Up.

Increasing flow won't help much. Raising the temperature won't help much, other than causing the areas below the SNAFU to over heat.

Contrary to popular opinion, heat, in the form of thermal energy WILL flow downward, and even horizontally, through the path of LEAST resistance. The old adage of "Heat Rises" a[plies to hot fluid convection patterns. NOT radiant energy.

You MUST have insulation below the heat source. If it was speced and the insulation contractor missed it, he either owes you a fix, or money back.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Boy did I

misread the first post.

Like Mark said, insulate under the tubing.
  • AL_29
    AL_29 Member Posts: 44
    Heat Goes Down

I installed Watts onyx tube thru out my freezing floors. I had a company install regular paper back insulation with no reflective barrier. My hope was that I would keep the basement nice and toasty while taking the chill off the floor, and it does. While the insulation will help you dramaticly I have had my best results with the bubble wrap duct insulation you can buy right at menards or home depot. Cut it to fit snug and this will help out tremendously. That is our standard install on our geo staple up floor warming applications and it works wonderfully.
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,661
    By Chance...

...did the contractor install aluminum transfer plates with the application?
This discussion has been closed.