Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tablet use?

AFred
AFred Member Posts: 81
Hey guys, just wondering if anyone out there is useing a tablet in the field?

I got one for Christmas. Want to know what to do with it. I am an installer/service tech.

What do you guys use them for? Another tech I work with can invoice via email, and take CC info on the spot. I want to know if there are any apps I could use. I would like to keep detailed info of the equipment I service, I document lots of stuff on my service tickets but that info never finds its way into the computer at the shop, I would like to at least keep MN and SN on file.

-Andrew

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Apps

Taco and US boiler have Apps. I also use Res Heat loads and the most important app I have is log me in which will allow you to access your office computer from the field. I also built libraries in IBooks by mfg and subject matters. All the info I need in one touch. The abilities are endless.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    iPad or tablet?

I got the shock of my life when I showed up (by invitation) at my former employers Christmas Party. I was actually the guest of honor, and they gave me an Apple iPad. I was honored, and am still recovering from the shock. Seems they'd had the best year in their existence, and it was due to all the foot work I had put together during my tenure there.

I promised my former partner I'd figure out how he and his employees could use this "tool" in their day to day practices, so I am also interested in learning more about its use.

The graphics portion is pretty obvious (showing existing and replacement jobs), but I suspect that it could be used for more than just a picture showing device.

Thanks AHI for the wonderful Christmas present. I will use it a LOT.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I'm also interested...

I'm also interested in incorporating it, in the way Chris posted.  It's just a matter of getting the office software to work with the IPad, and compliling the information.  Maybe someone will come up with 'an app for that'.

My wife, I mean Santa, got me one for Christmas.....I told her I have no use for it...and havent been able to put it down for almost a week..

So hopefully others will chime in, and I'll post back with what I discover.
    steve
  • JharrisSeattle
    JharrisSeattle Member Posts: 26
    Tablets

Our shop has been using samsung tablets for almost a year now. We send in invoices while on the road, take pictures of jobs and are getting ready to use them to collect c.c. payments as well. One of our techs preloaded all the tablets with hundreds of boiler and control manuals in pdf format which has been extremely useful. If I cant find a manual on the tab, i can usally download it on the spot. We also use them for our navigation in our trucks. Apps I would reccomend would be: Elec Lite, ConvertPad, Google Translate (for the non english speaking clients), and Google Nav.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Remote DeskTop

Steve you can log into you office computer as if you were sitting at the desk in front of it. You have access to all your files and programs to include the internet. The iPad is just the keyboard remotely.

The biggest tool in my opinion is Face Time. The ability to see what your seeing remotely In real time can really help an owner when a tech in the field needs that second opinion of help. What I found interesting looking around at apps is how many companies across the pond have them for that market yet not for here. An example is Uponor. Wish that app applied to our market. Viessmann has a few also but not for us. There are others search around.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    iPad

Is my choice. Got one as soon as it came out and love it. I hardly carry the laptop any more. For me, when I was in a basement I could call up tech/troubleshooting info for that particular piece of equip. Really nice getting info when you need it rather than having to leave to get info. The kids got me an ipad2 for Xmas. Nice kids!

I have the wireless and 3G. A must in my opinion.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Thanks for the info Chris...

Do you use the 'Go to my PC' app? Also, I was researching vehicle docks..I don't like/want the suction cup type.  Was wondering if anyone found ones they like/dislike.

I was considering using it for service contracts. Either taking a pic of their system and labeling the components (what's covered/what's not) or making up a number of system diagrams, and printing it right on the contract.
    steve
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Log me in...

www.logmein.com

Click on their FREE button. If you want/need more features, it costs around $60.00/year for the PRO program, which is what I bought.

I wish the screen graphics were a little better, but still an invaluable tool IMPO. I use it for manipulating my mountain home PC from anywhere that I can get internet. Allows me to power up the Lochinvar program and see exactly what my boiler is doing, and any "issues" it has had. My ENV logic is fantastic, and allows me to graph just about any parameter I am monitoring/controlling, but it won't give me access to the onboard controls on my Knight boiler, which the LMI program does.

I can also use it to remotely control my PTZ camera so I can look around, and see how much snow has accumulated, and wether or not I need to fire up Frosty, the Snow Blower to clear my driveway.

Teknawlegie, ain't it sumpthin' :-) Makes one wonder what we did without it ;-)

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • STEVEusaPA
    Cool...

Thanks Mark.
    steve
This discussion has been closed.