Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water Hammer

WFSmith
WFSmith Member Posts: 4
I am a heating and air conditioning contractor in the Philadelphia area. Been doing this stuff a long time, but I've run into something that I'm struggling with. I recently purchased a house with oil hot water baseboard heat. I added (2) radiant loops to the bathrooms when we renovated them this summer. They are off their own secondary loop with their own circ.

I have (4) zones of heat not including the radiant, zoned with zone valves ( a mix of taco and honeywell 4 wire valves). A single Taco 007 circ pump (located on the return close to the boiler, pumping towards the expansion tank on the supply side).

I'd never heard it hammer before the radiant loops went in, but now it happens almost every time another zone completes its call. It's bad too. The finned element sounds like it wants to jump out of the cabinet it's so violent. I figured it was being caused by the radiant circ somehow so I turned off the radiant, but that didn't stop it. It continues to happen, so now I'm assuming it is being caused by <strong>where</strong> the secondary loops for the radiant were tied in.

Anyone have any experience with this? I'm stumped. Luckily it's in my own home, so I can just benefit from what I learn.

Thanks,

Lee

Comments

• David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    did you try ....

shutting down all the zones and start them one at a time to see witch one is doing it ?, check the honeywell heads, if they have the dubble spring to close it, try taking one off, this should slow down the speed of it shutting down.

David

aka DrPepper
  • WFSmith
    Water Hammer

Unfortunately, it happens no matter which zone is calling (or type of zone valve).
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I would

like to see pics of everything, mainly the radiant loop and how that is piped 
  • WFSmith
    I will

do that as soon as I get home tonight.
This discussion has been closed.