Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

Old Trane steam traps

Maintman Member Posts: 1
i am looking for a replacment thermostatic steam trap.  the trap i am replacing only has Trane M 56 on the cartridge and the body style is "G:".  it is approximately 2" long and wide.  with a 7/8 pin at the bottom.  does anyone make a replacement cartridge to fit this 50+ year old part?


  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 14,831
    That looks like a B-1 trap

    on the Trane B series, the model number is cast into the side of the trap body. I can see something on the side of the body in the bottom pic, but can't make it out.

    The B series traps were made in several versions. They could have either an integral or removable seat, and an integral or removable bellows, in any combination. From your pic, your trap has an integral seat. If the bellows is removable, it will unscrew from the cap.

    Tunstall or Barnes & Jones are the two companies we know that make replacement trap parts. Both their web sites have catalogs that show which kits will fit your traps.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
This discussion has been closed.