Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas furnace won't light

Options
jgoodman
jgoodman Member Posts: 2
Hi everyone,

Happy holidays. I just returned from a few days at the in-laws to an improperly operating furnace and am hoping you all can help me diagnose the problem.

Last year, I replaced the gas control valve (Honeywell 8204C 3007) and the intermittent pilot ignition module (Honeywell S8610U) on my Burnham P204A-WNI gas furnace (heats radiators throughout the house). At the time, the system was having trouble igniting and staying on, and the replacement solved the problem.

Last night, I returned home after being away for two days and the house was freezing, the radiators were frigid and the furnace was on and humming, the damper was buzzing but the system was not lit. I turned it off and then back on and its not even trying to ignite. The system goes on, starts humming but no sign of trying to light at all.

I did notice that the ignition module is displaying the "damper error" signal (5 pulses of the little green light).

Any help would be appreciated. Its warm today but its going to get colder this week so would like to fix ASAP.

Thanks!

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    damper

your damper has an end switch which must prove in order for the unit to fire. Some have a manual setting which once locked open will allow you to operate the unit until it can be replaced. Should be a switch on the side of the damper...
  • jgoodman
    jgoodman Member Posts: 2
    Options
    update

Thanks a lot. The damper is a Honeywell (model D80D-1066, by the way).

None of the mechanisms were engaging when I clicked on the system, so I pushed the coupler into position and the system clicked on. Of course, if it turns off, it wont go back on by itself, Im sure. So I will replace ASAP. But for now, I seem to have a semi-operating system.

-Justin
This discussion has been closed.