Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Megastor Indirect HW Tank and Chlorides

Options
HELP!!

I have a Megastor Indirect HW Heater. My boiler is a Biasi. I had both installed new about 2 years ago. I am already on my second Megastor tank, which is AGAIN failing, and have just now discovered that it is a cholride issue with my water. It is well water and I had water test done in 2006 when I bought my home. It shows the chloride level being 9 mg/L which seems to be a straight conversion to 9ppm. That seems low to me however the company is saying it is extremely high. I am having a second water test performed to find out if the level has changed.

Now, they will give me a new tank IF I get a water filtration system installed in my home. Before I go and spend a couple of grand on that however, I am looking for some other suggestions. The company suggested a glass lined tank, however my boiler guy (who installed the system - I trust him, he has been GREAT through out this ordeal) thinks that they are junk.

However I read in another thread that stone lined tanks are good with this type of issue and can stand up to higher chloride levels. But how high is too high on even those types of tanks? Because I would much prefer to spend a grand on a new tank rather than several on a water system and endless filters. Any help would be great!!!

Comments

• SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Options
    Bradford White RTV series

You might want to consider switching your indirect to a Bradford White RTV series stainless steel indirect. They use 400 series stainless (type 444). 300 series (316L as an example) are not fond of chlorides but most 400 series stainless tanks are no where near as susceptible to chloride attack or chloride stress corrosion cracking.

http://www.alleghenytechnologies.com/Ludlum/Documents/al444.pdf (scroll down to page 2 of this document in the middle where it talks about chloride stress corrosion cracking)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    you need to....

add an anode rod to the tank some how. they do make them to fit inside the hot water supply line of most std steel tanks. just might need to add a coupling.
This discussion has been closed.