Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The brains of Apple have made there way to HVAC

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
Check this out <a href="http://support.nest.com/customer/portal/articles/185478-how-does-nest-work-if-i-have-multiple-nest-learning-thermostats-in-the-same-home">http://support.nest.com/customer/portal/articles/185478-how-does-nest-work-if-i-have-multiple-nest-learning-thermostats-in-the-same-home</a>-

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    steam

I like the looks of the thermostat, however hate the fact you really cannot program it your self.  It relies on learning from your habbits rather than allowing you to force it to do certain things (I think anyway).

That aside,  I have to wonder if it works at all well with steam heat.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • alotlikeearl
    alotlikeearl Member Posts: 68
    Programming!

Chris,  The Nest can be programmed manually.

Jerry
  • ChrisJ
    Oh!

I guess the Nest just got better!

But, will it work well with steam is still a question I don't have an answer to.  Can it be forced to only 1 cycle per hour?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    If I understand it correctly

it is compatible with a wide range of systems. It learns to know your heating system. It will know how long it is going to take to reach desired setpoint without overshooting. It uses outdoor temp in this calculation also.

Time will tell whether it is way cool or not.

I can't wait to get my hands on one.
  • testing the nest

give it a good test, and also the honeywell prestige [definitely rated for steam] with wireless indoor sensors capability, as well as remote/internet control.

the nest is certainly a good-looking device, but can you judge a book by it's cover?--nbc
  • croydoncorgi
    croydoncorgi Member Posts: 83
    Jewellery versus functionality!

Apple very cleverly added style to substance with their IPad / IPhone / Ipod products.  The Nest product spun out of Apple is doing the same thing - making a thermostat sexy!  But although sex sells, I'm not convinced that a mass-market thermostat can be sold at $250!  But then - I'd never have forecast massive sales at the original Ipod price-point until they happened.....
  • ChrisJ
    $250

I don't know.

Someone mentioned it takes outside temperature into consideration.  Is this anything like an outdoor reset?  If so its a lot cheaper than a Tekmar 279 for steam.
  • croydoncorgi
    croydoncorgi Member Posts: 83
    Room optimization, not ODR

Far as I know, the nest uses an optimization algorithm based on rate of temperature change in the room to calculate On and Off timings.

And it is strictly an On/Off device - no direct control of burner modulation and/or Flow temperature.
This discussion has been closed.