Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO Refills with Strange Noise

FJL
FJL Member Posts: 354
I am noticing that when my LWCO refills, the water pipes shake and create a sound like "errrrrrrrrrrrr."  I sometimes hear this randomly from my second floor apt.  Today, while opening the LWCO to empty dirty water, I noticed the sound and the copper water pipes seemed to be shaking.  I presume that sound was due to the water refilling.  Does need to be tended to?

Comments

• jpf321
    jpf321 Member Posts: 1,568
    is there an auto-feeder ...

if there is an autofeeder, perhaps it's days are numbered or it is getting a little clogged .. I believe more autofeeds have a cleanout Y.

does it make the same noise if you fill with the Manual bypass rather than the auto-feeder ..

and to be clear, you aren't filling your LWCO, you are filling the entire boiler.

how often do you feel that the water is being added? perhaps you have a bigger problem to attend to if you are adding water substantially often or in quantity.
    1-pipe Homeowner - Queens, NYC

NEW: SlantFin Intrepid TR-30 + Tankless + Riello 40-F5 @ 0.85gph | OLD: Fitzgibbons 402 boiler + Beckett "SR" Oil Gun @ 1.75gph

installed: 0-20oz/si gauge | vaporstat | hour-meter | gortons on all rads | 1pc G#2 + 1pc G#1 on each of 2 mains

Connected EDR load: 371 sf venting load: 2.95cfm vent capacity: 4.62cfm
    my NEW system pics | my OLD system pics
  • FJL
    edited December 2011
    Auto Feeder

Yes, I have an auto feeder.  And yes I understand that I'm filling the boiler. 

I have not tried with manual refill.

Every once and a while I'll hear that sound when I am not opening the LWCO to clean it out. 

I will hear that sound often when I open the LWCO to clean it, either right away or after it has been open for a while as the water clears up.

FWIW, the boiler was serviced during the big snow storm last year.  The technician was flushing the LWCO a lot and I am sure it made that sound and I am sure that I mentioned it to him but it didn't seem to worry him.  He was more concerned at the time with getting the boiler running. 

LWCO is only four or five years old. 
  • Chattering valve

It's most likely the solenoid valve banging against the valve seat, and should be fixed as the vibrations are not good for the pipes. If you can give us the make and model number, we can give more advice.--nbc
  • FJL
    My LWCO

I have a McDonnell & Miller 47-2
This discussion has been closed.