Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace vintage Carlin 400s-3 with newer Beckett AFG?

Options
Gary0256
Gary0256 Member Posts: 2
I have a circa 1963 Losch boiler with original Carlin 400s-3 burner. From my research I do not think this is a flame retention burner. It is firing a 1.75 X 60A nozzle into a 17"round chamber. The boiler is a two pass boiler and I am not having any problems with the boiler or burner. It runs year round and supplies hot water also. Using about 700-900 gals/yr to heat a 3 story cape in Pennsylvania. I have just purchased a used Beckett AFG off of eBay and will build it up as a spare for the Carlin as I am sure parts will not be available if it breaks down. My question is should I just repace the Carlin with the Beckett once it is setup or should I wait until the old Carlin dies? How much savings could I expect to see by replacing the Carlin with the newer Beckett?

Thanks 

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Changing to a used oil burner:

A Carlin 400-N was a very good 1725 RPM burner. It worked well in any boiler it was rated for. Your used AFG 3450 RPM burner may not be happy in your Losch boiler. AFG's are not famous for liking to fire against back pressure in my experience. Carlin EZ-1's don't seem to notice the back-pressure.

You would save a lot more Ca$h with a new boiler and burner properly sized for the heat load of the house. The burner is probably way over-fired for the application. If you are asking the question about the burner replacement, you need the help of a professional. This shouldn't be taken lightly.

From what you describe, you could probably pay for a NEW and properly sized burner properly fitted to your application than you will ever get with the AFG just jammed into the old boiler.

But you asked, I'm replying.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    I've never heard

of a Losch boiler, do you have pics? I wouls say that the Beckett would be an improvement over those Carlins, short of a complete boiler/burner package replacement. Boiler cast or steel? Wet base?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Carlin 400S-3 Burners:

The Carlin 400S-3 was/is a Shell Head burner. It was the nuts and once set up, ran like a top with the proper nozzle and installation. Often fired into round chambers. It was critical that they be sealed around the end at the combustion chamber. They burned hot as hell. The next generation was true flame retention in a 1725 burner. Then came the FR and FRD's Flame Retention and the 3450 FRD, Flame Retention Double Speed for those situations where draft was a problem. Like all Carlin's, it was an adjustable head burner like all Carlin's. Unlike that thing with the "Z" dimension that depend on static plates to change air pressure over and around the flame.

But I was spoiled.

Losch boilers are still made somewhere but I think they are modern Gucci coal boilers.
This discussion has been closed.