Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ID Hot Water Convector

Options
JStar
JStar Member Posts: 2,752
Our manager was at a church to work up a boiler replacement. Wanted to get the ratings from all of the convectors. Couldn't find any information on these units. He said they looked like multiple rows of copper fin-tube. I found some that were very close, but not exact.

It's a hot water system, so the connected load is only needed to determine water temperature and as a reference against the building heat loss.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Options
    baseboard output

600 btu/ foot at 180 degrees what I would use.
  • JStar
    Options
    RE

That's what we're going to fall back on, but the convectors have several passes of fin-tube. I wasn't sure if the rating would be greater than the total sum of all the passes individually.
  • MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    Options
    Vulcan

J-Star, check out Vulcans catalog, they have ratings for Double Tier Fin Tube
  • JStar
    Options
    Thanks!

Looks like the closest so far. Thanks for the help.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Conversions:

For my way of thinking, if the radiation is heating the building, and the boiler is too big, so what. It's nice to know what the attached radiation load is but the actual verified heat loss is more important. Don't we always say here to size the boiler to the heat loss in a hot water system and size the boiler to the installed radiation in a steam boiler?

Just wondering.

It's my experience that most old buildings are so very over radiated. The only reason to over boiler a church is because when they turn up the heat on Sunday morning, it is the same as lowering the outside temperature on a temporary basis. When the church fills up with human heat emitters, the building is again over radiated.

In my opinion. Subject to change.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Dual Rows:

If it has dual rows, it has a much higher output than 600 BTU's per foot. And 1 1/4" fin tube is higher than 600 BTU's per foot.
  • JStar
    Options
    RE

I agree. We're sizing the boiler to the heat loss. We just want to verify the radiation, and possibly modulate the water temperature to save some money. Makes them happy, and makes us look good.
  • icesailor
    Options
    Conversions

4 Way Mixers ROCK.
This discussion has been closed.