Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

reduce a 2" return line to 1" pipe at repair then back to 2"

Options
jef
jef Member Posts: 8
can i reduce a 2" return line in steam system to 1" for 4ft of repaired/replaced pipe and couple of 1" 90s then

back to 2 " return line

i am trying to repipe to back of concrete step instead of going thru concrete step as old pipe did

Comments

• STEAM DOCTOR
    STEAM DOCTOR Member Posts: 1,973
    Options
    Depends

It would depend on the radiators that are served by that return line. If you are able to measure the EDR of the radiators that would give us the necessary info. If not then you can post pics of the radiators. Include the height of each radiator.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    Even easier

Tell us the size of the boiler (In NET BTU or Sq.Ft. of Steam) and tell us if that pipe's handling all of the condensate or just part of it.  
  • jef
    jef Member Posts: 8
    Options
    240k well mclain

the repair is on  line with 1/3 of radiators

other side of bolier line are served by the other 2/3 of radiators 

approx 22 radiators 240btu boiler

bolier in middle of bldg with return line going on each side of boiler then coming into one return line  feeding boiler
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,210
    Options
    No problem

Roughly speaking, you should have no problem.  Try to flush that return out while you've got it cut apart.  You won't believe what lives in them.  
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    return under steps

why not leave some means of temporary disconnection for future cleaning, such as a union on both sides of the steps. any part of the piping with a reduction in diameter is bound to collect debris.--nbc
  • Rod
    Rod Posts: 2,067
    Options
    Insulate the copper pipe

If you're running  the new copper pipe inside the old iron one, as a precaution, I would wrap the copper pipe in plastic electrical tape to isolate it from the old iron pipe.

- Rod
This discussion has been closed.