Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Free oil - 500 gallons - No way to give to the poor

Options
I have 500 gallons of fuel oil that I need to dispose of, after converting the gas. The tank removal people will pump out the oil as waste. But with the economy as it is, I have been trying to find a way to give it away for heating purposes. No such luck.

The fuel banks do not remove oil. The oil is in three 330 gallon tanks connected in series. It has to be removed properly.

Anyone have any ideas? Located in Newton, MA.

Thanks,

Steve in Boston
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

• Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Anyone have any ideas?

I have no idea. I wanted to give the 300 to 500 gallons of #2 fuel oil to some friends of mine. The company that pumped the oil out said it was illegal for them to pump it into a residential fuel tank, even for free. They were also afraid of any liability they might incur should the person getting the oil complain it damaged their heating system. My oil dealer said the same thing. They were allowed to burn it in the boiler or furnace in their own shop, but could not give it to anyone else. Their intention was to deliver it to a waste oil disposal site.

So if you have a suitable pump and tank on a pick-up truck, perhaps you could do it as private individuals. But you might still be breaking the law.
  • Viess
    Viess Member Posts: 58
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Craigslist?

You are making way more out of this than necessary. You should of  posted it on Craigslist.
  • Patchogue Phil_2
    Patchogue Phil_2 Member Posts: 304
    Options
    offer the tanks too

If the tanks are in decent shape,  offer the tanks too.  Someone will want it all.  As said already,  Craig's List.  The recipient takes it all,  as is,  tanks included and assumes all liability.  It'll be gone quickly.

Unless of course the tanks are buried in the ground?   Or land-locked inside the building?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    uses for unused heating oil

if  you might need a gen-set, go with diesel, as you have a lot of fuel here. alternatively, someone may have a diesel vehicle.--nbc
  • StephenO
    StephenO Member Posts: 6
    Options
    Commonwealth tank

I had Commowealth tank pump out the oil, cut the tank and pulled the permit for $345. This was a few years ago. I got there informatiom from "Joe for Oil" so I assumed they where selling to the needy for a discount. They are in Wakefield MA there # 800-628-8260 Good luck
This discussion has been closed.