Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chimney Scam Help

Options
Joe_S
Joe_S Member Posts: 8
While sorting thru my spill switch issue, I had a chimney sweep come in and check my chimney to eliminate that as a source of the problem. To my chagrin, i found that the original installer had scammed me and put a 2 ft piece at the bottom and a 6ft aluminum flexpipe up on top! somehow he had gotten the inspector to believe that the tag that showed on the bottom of the pipe meant he had installed a full lining. He somehow got the sticker.

Now I am told I have to call the town inspector and make the installers redo the work correctly. I need to know what can happen. I know the sticker is invalidated now, but what sort of tricks can they pull? I am told they are obligated to fix it because they signed to the effect that they installed the full lining required by law. I am just Joe the homeowner with no knowledge of these shady practices. I would really appreciate any advise that you guys can give me on this situation.

JS

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    chimney

It might be that the chimney liner has rotted away. Does what is left of it at the bottom and top have a clean cut edge or is it eroded and rotted away?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    How old

Is the liner?  I find it hard to believe an inspector would not look down the chimney at the installation to see that. Maybe if he new the contractors work was good he would not bother IDK.

If it rotted away that much I would think it would have blocked the flue, or did it hence the spill switch tripping.
  • Joe_S
    Options
    4 yrs young

the work was done just 4 years ago. the top piece that they installed was aluminum and might be disintegrating/melting from the heat. it's about 32 ft of what should have been stainless steel lining. this chimney sweep has been exposing scams all over the state and explicit said i was scammed. i was stunned because the inspector had wanted to look up the chimney but apparently changed his mind at one point.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Shame on

Yhe inspecter for not checking materials, and installation.....Maybe he should pay for a proper liner.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Shame on

Yhe inspecter for not checking materials, and installation.....Maybe he should pay for a proper liner.
  • Joe_S
    Options
    inspector

In fact he has a rep for being a stickler and asked to look up the chimney the first time.  I really don't know how the installer got the sticker.   Now it's a delicate situation if I bring it to the township's attention.  I doubt the inspector or township is liable for anything.   The installer on the other hand lied when he certified that his work was in compliance.   I don't even want to talk to them - the owner manager hung up on me when I complained that they had stuck me for a couple of hundred bucks without fixing my problem.   Any lawyers around?
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Options
    liner

If this liner is for a gas burning appliance than an aluminum liner is the right one.

Stainless steel liners are used for oil or wood.

If the liner is over sized or the chimney top was not sealed then cold air gets in and the liner falls apart. 4 years is long enough for it to happen.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    Not Unusual

While there may be an honest explanation for this, we see dishonesty all too often among chimney guys here on Long Island.  In fact, we probably see three dishonest, fraudulent installations for every honest one.  

Four years is a lot of time.  If you bring in the building department you'll get a violation and probably nothing else. 

Too much time has passed to take this guy to court.  

I'd suggest you get a new liner installed, and this time pay attention to the work.  It's your responsibility to make sure it's done correctly, nobody else's.  It's your money. 

You've got to bite the bullet on this one.  And this time, watch that it's done correctly.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    edited December 2011
    Options
    It's New York !!

Everybody in New York gets scammed  Don't you watch movies?. Rather lame being apperently gas. What's the world coming too?

The cookie exchange is on the way!!

Love life baby, It's Christmas.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Ethical treatment...

In Colorado, if a plumber is found to do something that is considered unethical, they can lose their license to work. Not that that ever stopped anyone from doing shoddy work, but its a start.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,211
    Options
    In New York

...many municipalities don't license chimney sweep or they merely possess business "licenses" which are no more than a tax.  Hence, the bottom feeders in that business around here.
This discussion has been closed.