Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

owner

taz
taz Member Posts: 13
i want to know how to convert a electronic ignition boiler to standing pilot ...Gas valve and control are one unit and not avaliable... its a weil mclain pcg4 nat gas boiler.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Why?

Is it the fact you live in an area prone to power outages?

Gordy
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Pilot Outages:

And if the power goes out, the boiler won't run anyway.

Electronic ignition saves money. And you want to go back to a standing pilot.

Step over a dollar to pick up a dime.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,241
    Standing Pilot

We've changed many of them after customers desired better reliability and easy servicing.   Some people don't want to be at the mercy of or don't trust the electronics.  Mostly those who've dealt with failing spark ignition modules in relatively new installations. 

You've got to change the gas valve and buy a pilot assembly.  Honeywell makes a universal kit that includes the parts to convert most boilers. 

Remember that this work may void a warranty or be illegal in some places. 
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Certification

It is illegal as the boiler was certified with a specific type of gas valve and ignition system. While the manufacturer may substitute one make and model for another during the manufacturing process, each one is certified for that boiler. Any changes that you make from one type to another that the manufacturer has not certified, will be deemed illegal. If there is an accident, you will be prosecuted and the insurance company will go after you!
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,241
    edited December 2011
    Substitution

The manufacturer can help you with this, if they are into good customer service.  If they offer a standing pilot model, they will provide you with the parts that are certified to be used with that boiler,  Often you'll find it easiest (though costly)  to buy them from the boiler company.  Then of course there can well be local requirements as far as licensing goes.  Some states also prohibit standing pilots and legislate ridiculous fines for installing them.

As energy usage requirements get tighter, you'll find fewer and fewer standing pilot models and controls manufactured. 

You should also make the proper electric damper modification if the boiler is equipped with a damper that was installed with electronic ignition.  Beware there also.

As Henry very correctly states, you must tread cautiously here.  Making a modification improperly or in a manner not authorized by the manufacturer will wind you up in hot water with the insurer and your liability people if anything bad should happen down the road. 
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,132
    reliability

When I recently bought my WM boiler I had the option to choose EI or standing pilot so I took some time to research it.

The conclusion I came up with was most felt the quality of thermal couples has declined quite a bit making them fail a lot more often than they use to.

Because of this I felt EI was the way to go though I may buy a spare controller to keep on hand just i case.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
This discussion has been closed.