Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pressure

ChasMan
ChasMan Member Posts: 462
JustVenting..:

I bought two Amtrol 60 Tanks, Both came in Factory sealed boxes with similar date codes. One tank was near perfect. No dents or major scratches. The other had a couple of large scratches and a minor ding in it.

I tested the pressure. The one in poor condition tested 13.5 PSI. The other measured 30.5 PSI!!!.

Then I opened my Caleffi Auto feeder which is "Factory Preset to 15 PSI" but the dial indicator on it is set to 14 PSI. So what is right the factory claim of 15 PSI or the setting of 14? Or does 14 = 15.  

I dunno, I just wish people would make things properly.

I also have to start in on my Rigid strap wrench which is the second most useless tool I have ever bought. Just above my Chineese High Speed drill bit set which had bits so soft you could bend them.

Comments

• furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    If it were easy everyone could do it.

see title
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Strap Wrenches

My Ridgid Strap Wrench is the most useful tool I own for the applications I need to use it for. It works every time when  put it on the right way. That's why I took a marker and marked the handle to remind me which way I am going to turn it.

Ever see anyone try to use a pipe wrench backwards (turn in the wrong direction?

It's no different than trying to use a spin-on/spin-off filter wrench the wrong way. And it is much harder to use on chrome tube.
  • icesailor
    Amtrols:

Sounds more to me that someone bought one of the Amtrols, screwed it up, and returned it for credit. And because it was sealed with clear tape (like it comes from the factory) no one checked. I seriously doubt that Amtrol let that tank out of the factory like that. I'd call them.

I've had things given to me right off the shelf with broken fittings that were returned for credit that were broken by the person that had returned it for credit.

I'll bet that if "I" looked carefully, I'd see some wrench marks on the top. Someone probably tried to use it on a domestic water heater that was having a hot water expansion problem and it wasn't the cream colored potable water unit. The 30+# tells the story. I'll bet if you had made a stink about it the way I have described, some counter guy might remember some scuzzbag bringing it back for a different one. After they wrecked it

That's how it has always worked for me.

And why some wholesalers won't take back stock as returns  unless they really know you.
  • ChasMan
    Which one?

Which strap wrench do you have? They make a few. I have a smaller one with a rubber strap that works fine. This is a larger #2 that I was hoping to use to tighten control valves on water softeners etc. It has two issues. One is that the strap is not as wide as the wrench head so it is quite easy for the wrench head to come in contact with the pipe and then marK it up. The other issue is that the strap is not as grippy as a rubber strap and won't grip polished surfaces very well. What your saying about the orientation is true. I had to study the diagram for a bit to get it right. It does work, just not well enough to do any more than the $2.00 plastic ones.
  • ChasMan
    I thought that might have been it but...

I see no signs of anyone else having a go at it. The scratch and dent was not the one with the high pressure. Plus the tape from the mfgr can't be removed without mucking up the box. I dunno. Anything can happen I guess.

I figure since they can't even wait for the paint to dry in order to box em up, how much care do they realy take. I had heard that they charge them up improperly. I just wasn't expecting to find it that far out.
  • icesailor
    Extrol Experience:

I have never had an experience like yours in many years of using Amtrol "Extrols" for heating and well water systems.

I would still contact them to see what they say. Quality manufacturers usually like to know about problems with their product. I've always considered Amtrol to be a quality manufacturer.

They had some problems back a few years ago and I don't know the outcome.
This discussion has been closed.