Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator pr0n

Options
nz
nz Member Posts: 125
Ok some of you have asked to see all the radiators...so I went around and took pics. Basically it's steam pr0n for all you addicts :)

This is of the second floor - five bedrooms, three bathrooms. The master has 3 radiators (the first pic only shows two, but they are all the same)

The last pic is of the hallway radiator going to the back staircase. You can see the hopper for the Kernerator incinerator in the middle of the picture.

Comments

• nz
    Options
    Radiator pr0n - First Floor

The first floor is all in-wall fin-tube convectors (nine), with the exception of the garage (the two cast iron radiator pics).

The first three pics are the parlor, which is where the thermostat is located. It is also the coldest room (2 doors leading out outside porch, and several 8 foot tall windows)

The kitchen was nicely renovated a few years ago. However, evidence in the basement leads me to believe that they removed a radiator from the kitchen...thus there is no heat unless someone is cooking :) The back hallway near the back staircase also has no heat - I may put heated tile in here someday, or throw a radiator in the corner if possible. The bathroom next to the kitchen has a small electric baseboard unit (last pic, you can see it behind the pedestal sink)
  • nz
    Options
    Radiator pr0n - Basement

There are only two radiators in the basement, both ceiling mounted. The first is a tiny one in the bathroom behind the prohibition-era bar. Here you can see the end of a branch of one of the steam mains. One drip trap and one crossover trap is behind the light, which is shown in the second picture. This crossover trap leaks/hisses (this is the one to the right with the rust stains). It is on the list to be replaced.

The second radiator is in the basement foyer (dont know what else to call it, its under the first floor foyer) - which leads to the bar, server room, boiler room, or basement living room.

The basement living room as no heat, except for a gas fireplace.

For those of you that are curious, I added pictures of the bar. The cabinets behind the bar are refrigerated, with a compressor two rooms away. I keep the thermostat for the bar coolers @ 40F. The compressor kicks on and off every 5-10 minutes or so, but the fan inside keeps running all the time. The wood doors are about three inches thick, with metal coverings on the inside. I recently added some weatherstripping to the inside of the doors, it is quite quiet when the doors are shut now.

The Kernerator incinerator is located next to the boiler, I have attached photos of it. The top opening is where you burn everything, and the handle/arm lets you dump the ashes/coals into the cleanout opening in the bottom. This is much better than a paper shredder, and helps keep the inner pyromaniac happy.

The other steam main ends inside the server room, the two pics are of that.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,786
    Options
    WOW!!! Beautiful!

Thanks for posting all of these pics!  It is great to get a better sense of your system and the home that it is in.   And, that bar is fantastic too!!!  What is the age of the house?

However, I imagine that this thread may lead to some serious cases of "Radiator Envy" or perhaps a "Who has the biggest Radiator" contest!!    Ha ha ha!
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.