Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ultra 299 problem

Stan_5
Stan_5 Member Posts: 22
We installed an ultra 299 boiler back in October of this year and on November 3rd, December 2nd and December 9th the boiler locked out on high limit. There is an indirect water heater, four zones that feed coils in air handlers and one loop that supplies water to 3 existing radiant zones which have their own circulators and mixing valves. The radiant zones are piped primary/secondary off the one loop. The installation is piped as per the installation manual for circulators. I am pretty sure the radiant zones are not getting the right flow through the primary loop. I was wondering if that could be my problem or is something up with the boiler. Why would the boiler allow itself to get to 200 degrees which is its high limit cut-out?

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    More Info

What makes you think the radiant is not flowing properly? Can you post some pics of the piping?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Stan_5
    ul

I wish I could post pics but I don't have any. Whoever piped the radiant zones did not keep the spacing between the tees within 12 inches. They are more like 24 inches between supply and return and it feels like the radiant zone flow comes up the return pipe and then flows the opposite way in the primary back to the supply. I understand that sometimes that is acceptable but I strongly believe it was not designed that way originally.
  • Stan_5
    ultra 299 problem

I wish I could post pics but I don't have any. Whoever piped the radiant zones did not keep the spacing between the tees within 12 inches. They are more like 24 inches between supply and return and it feels like the radiant zone flow comes up the return pipe and then flows the opposite way in the primary back to the supply. I understand that sometimes that is acceptable but I strongly believe it was not designed that way originally.
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    System problem

1 of a few things could be happening, or a combination. If the boiler was installed in october it is under warranty. Have the installing contractor work the bugs out.

Sounds like a low flow, low load, or mismatch firing rate setting. There is no need for mixing valves if the in floor zones are isolated from the other zones.

This boiler is designed to have low return water, that is when efficiency is highest.

Please draw a sketch or take pictures of the near boiler piping and post for review.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    what do you....

have for an indirect ? what circulator is on it? what size piping? W/ the ultra the indirect is the high temp zone w/ high water temps. If the flow is not proper the boiler w/ trip on high limit.
This discussion has been closed.