Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best electric HWH?

Options
I'm a novice at electric HWHs so I have to start with the basic question:  What's the best electric HWH for a three bedroom, two bath home?  Most cost effective is another way to define it, I suppose.

With Gratitude and Respect, Peters

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Type WH

Storage type. instantaneous, Solar tank with electric backup? Sounds like a good incorporation to your passive home, if that is what its for.

The question needs to be answered how many users Family of 4 any large spa tubs, Over zealous shower heads. etc
  • Hudsonvalleycarpenter
    Options
    Duplex rental

I'm going to build a 3BR/2B duplex rental. The master baths will have spa tubs.  Just looking for the most reliable electric HWH in the most appropriate size.  Best energy rating would help too.

Thanks, Peter
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,305
    Options
    Its the tubs!

Hello:  The tubs throw things off.  I'd be tempted to have tankless heaters for the tubs alone and the rest on a fifty gallon electric... or a bigger gallonage heat pump unit.  My mind is of two minds about what should supply the showers!

Yours,  Larry
  • Hudsonvalleycarpenter
    Options
    as Santa often sez....it's a tankless job.

The only problem I can see with going tankless, from my limited knowledge, is that such electric HW sources don't put out enough volume to do the job in a timely fashion.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I'm here to learn.

Peter
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I think the....

Vaughn Hotstow/ Sepco electrics are great. Longevity needs no anode.... Stone lining holds heat great. Downside is they are heavy...very heavy. Competitive price. Made in Massachusetts.

http://www.vaughncorp.com/html/electric.html
  • Hudsonvalleycarpenter
    Options
    Thanks....

for the recommendation.  I'll check 'em out.

With Respect, Peter
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Have a look at..

The Rheem Marathon tank. http://www.ruud.com/product.aspx?id=AB27075C-9101-4A97-AF4B-5344C0B75288

It is a plastic lined tank not metal, with a lifetime warranty on the tank, 6-year for parts. I have installed one and a good idea compared to the standard tank heater.

• Seamless, blow-molded, polybuten

• e tank - impervious to rust and corrosion

• Multiple layers of filament wound fiberglass give the tank unmatched strength

• Polyurethane Envirofoam™ insulation helps reduce energy consumption

• The highest energy factors (EF) available!

• Pipe wrap energy saving kit included to achieve maximum energy savings
  • Hudsonvalleycarpenter
    Options
    Worth considering

Thanks for the link.  Looks like a good, reliable HWH.

Peter
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,305
    Options
    You would need...

... very big storage to supply conventional spas.  A way to use electric tankless is to fill the tubs from your tank and bring up to temp or reheat with the tankless.  On average, big tubs get used less than one week a year.  Perhaps a Japanese soaking tub or some other sort of low volume tub could do the job without such an equipment penalty.

Yours,  Larry
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    tankless capacity

The Stiebel-Eltron Tempra 36 will handle large tubs (3 GPM at 80F rise), but requires a 300A service for single phase use.  The 29 does 2.5 GPM and can be run off a 200A main, though you really need a load calc, especially for an existing service.

You can go much bigger with commercial booster heaters or paralleling as long as you have enough juice.

No gas, oil, or boiler there?  Indirects can have amazing recovery capacity.
This discussion has been closed.