Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam indirect - more questions (take two)

steve_173
steve_173 Member Posts: 140
One supply house person suggested that having more boiler BTU input than the Superstor can handle looking at the 180 degree boiler BTU rating could be wasteful in the summertime and diminish the benefits of the indirect.

I was also advised to use a Taco 007 or 0010 depending on need rather than the 100b. This guy felt it was ok to use an iron pump and change it more often as it is cheaper. That seems crazy given the cost of plumbers, but what about the 0010 versus the 110? I think he prefers the seal free design of the 0010.

I've also been advised against using an automatic feeder. We used to have to add water manually so I know the drill. Anyone have thoughts against auto-feeders?

Finding a plumber willing to do this job (wet base with power gas gun and indirect) is becoming a nightmare. I’m dealing with stubborn plumbers who think boilers other than the gas company special are going to be trouble. If someone knows a good plumber in the Long Island area, please contact me. I live in a town where not all plumbers are licensed so things get complicated in a hurry. I've looked at the listings here, but nothing has worked out so far.

Comments

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 605
    That supply house guy

is partially right . It's wasteful to have an oversized boiler all year round . I have my boiler matched pretty close to my house's heatloss and I've never run out of hot water with a 30 gallon indirect and a TON of hot water used daily !

We come across quite a few steam boilers with zones of heat off the bottom . Primarily pumped with 007 circs . Date codes are all over the place but I remember one we did recently with 1990 stamped on the side of the motor . I'd guess it has alot to do with where the circ is pumping the water from , and what temp it's handling . I've had good luck having the circ pump the water back into the boiler . After flowing through the zone or indirect , so  it doesn't handle the hottest temp water all the time .

Where on Long Island are you ?   
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    if your on....

the Isle of Long... Ron Jr. is the guy to work on your boiler. His work is 2nd to none.
This discussion has been closed.