Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Issues with relay..

davidsako
davidsako Member Posts: 3
Hello,

I've recently installed an RA832A 1066 in order to control 2 valves and i'm not exactly sure of the wiring. Here are the facts:

- I've got the burner connected to XX

- I've got 2 valves with 2 wires each, i connected the wires to the TT in the relay

For some reason, the boiler/pump starts without getting a call for heat from the Theromstat. The Thermostat is completely off and as soon as i put the power on, within a few seconds, the valve opens and turns the burner/pump.

Is it wired wrong?

Thanks.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    What are you trying to wire?

And what are you trying to accomplish with this relay? Pics would also help. Are you using the relay to open the valves, or simply start the burner on a call for heat? What aquastat do you have?  Circulator being powered by? What zone valves? End switches? Need more info and pics
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    832 Relays:

Why did you pick an RA 832 relay? They are a PITA and there main i=use are the XX terminals for low voltage use/controls. If you are adding a circculator to a oil boiler with an operating control and want toe second zone to start the burner, you need to wire the RA 832 through the ZC/ZR terminals on the boiler.

A better choice would have been a Taco ZR 502. All the problems are solved.
  • davidsako
    more information

sorry for not putting enough details..

I'm trying to accomplish the following, i'd like that whenever Tstat A requests heat, the circulator and the burner turn on, while opening Valve A as well. Same for Tstat B.

I've got a circulator that is getting its' electric power from the RA832 but doesn't seem to have any other "Tstat" wiring, i've got the burner that is connected to the XX in the RA832A. As for the aquastat, it isn't so clear to me how it is connected in all this but i'm not sure how relevant it is since it only turns on whenever i increase the temperature requested in the Aquastat.

How do i get the relay to turn on burner, power on circulator, open Valve A/B upon calling for heat from each of the Tstats A/B?

Thank again for your help.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited December 2011
    Wiring with an 832 Relay

You need to wire the 832 relay through the ZR/ZC terminals in the main controller on the boiler. The way you have it wired now, the burner only comes on when the operating/low limit calls. If it is set for 150 degrees, you will only have 150 degree water in the zone. The other zone will have 180 degree water if that is what the high limit is set at. The instructions should be in the paper that comes with the relay,

Check this out: Look on page three.

http://customer.honeywell.com/techlit/pdf/69-0000s/69-0791.pdf

Look at the page with the RA 845 relay. That's the relay you need. And notice the ZC/ZR  that you connect it to. I suggest that you get the 845 to do what you want. And is you must purchase a new relay, buy a Taco R 501. It will do all the functions of the 832 845  and other relays. You must power the relay from the ZC and ZR contacts. Then, both thermostats will control the burner and the boiler will control the circulators.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    I still dont understand

what you are trying to accomplish. What aquastat do you have, and is your circulator getting it's power from it? Does each zone valve have it's own thermostat? Why not wire both zones to come on by one thermostat? I think that is what you are trying to get done? If you are wanting the relay to open the valve regardless of which zone is calling, I would just wire them in series, and eliminate the use of the relay. You have what you need in the aquastat to control the burner and circulator, and you should have a 24 volt step down to power the zones
  • davidsako
    more info

thanks again

I checked and the aquastat' is directly connected to the burner so I have no idea how it is controlled.

I did try to connect both valves to only one tstat and as soon as I put the power both circulator and burner go off regardless of the tstats status??.

I have a Honeywell aquastat / two valves and two tstats
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Honeywell

Search Honeywell and the specific control you have, and they will show you how to zone the system properly.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Zone Valve Control

This would make it as simple as possible.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/102-089.pdf
This discussion has been closed.