Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Heating

Options
Phan
Phan Member Posts: 5
Recently I had a contractor to change my HB Smith  oil steam boiler to Burnham Gas steam boiler. I think the model is IN4LNI-LL2

Now, when I set the thermostart at 68 to 70 degree, the boiler was running for a short time until only the first half of all radiators got hot and stop. If I set my thermostart higher, about 75 to 80 degree, the whole radiators will be hot, but the house would be really warm and I have to manually turn it down.

I don't think it is a problem with the thermostart. I called the contractor back. He changed all of air vents attached to radiators, but it did not fix the problem.

Would you please help me how to fix it. ( I mean to tall my contractor to fix it)

Thank you very much for your help.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,436
    Options
    I guess the 1st....

question is.... If you set the t-stat @ 68 and the boiler runs a short time, it is 68 when it shuts off?  The radiators do not have to heat all the way through all the time.... especially if it is milder outside one day vs. another.
  • Phan
    Options
    Steam Heating

Thank you for quick answer my question. Yes, I set the  t-stat @ 68 and the boiler runs a short time, but the room temperature does not change. Eventually, I have to change the thermostart to 75 to make it works.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Mike Kusiak_2 Member Posts: 604
    Options
    Thermostat anticipator setting

Do you have an older style thermostat like the round Honeywell type? If so you may have to adjust the internal anticipator setting to compensate for the differences of the new boiler. The electrical controls of the new boiler may draw more current and require the setting to be changed.

Typically, a gas boiler's controls will draw more current in the thermostat circuit than an oil burners controls, so this would explain why your heating cycles are now shorter than before.
  • Phan
    Options
    Steam heating

Thank you,

I have a old rectangular Honeywell thermostar.  I bought, installed and did not like the new one, because it recycled at least 2 times per hour,  even in a warm day !. So I took it off.

I will install it in again and let you know. Appreciate for your help. I you know any of them do not cycle, wasting the energy, please let me know.
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    Options
    Thermostats

Let me know the brand and model numbers of both the old and new thermostats, and I will tell you how  the cycle rate can be adjusted so the system will cycle less frequently.
  • Phan
    Options
    steam heat

Thank again for your help. I have a new  Honeywell RTH230 which I installed and removed because of the cycling.  Recently, I also purchase a new one, which was recommended by Mass- Save.  LuxPro PSP511LC. I have not tried it yet. appreciate if you could tell me which one is better. Thank
  • Mike Kusiak_2
    edited December 2011
    Options
    RTH230

When you installed the RTH230 did you adjust the cycle rate in the configuration menu?

This thermostat comes out of the box set for 4 cycles per hour, which is too many for a steam system. You can reprogram it for 2 cycles per hour by following the instructions here for setting the programming in the attached PDF of the instructions.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fcustomer.honeywell.com%2FHoneywell%2Fgetliterature.axd%3FLiteratureID%3D69-1800.pdf&ei=ZQjmTvmVJILN0AGsq_jkBQ&usg=AFQjCNGh0KHS9Ip6SQRIhxLPZnff2LfDaw

Most new digital thermostats come set up for hot air systems which need more cycles per hour. Any new thermostat will therefore have to be reprogrammed to use it with a steam system. You cannot just use it as is, and expect it to work properly.

The Luxpro has a "swing" setting which will allow you to adjust the cycles per hour. Again, as it comes it is set for hot air which will give you too many cycles. You will have to set it higher than 1 which it is set now and experiment until you get the number of cycles you want.
  • Phan
    Options
    Steam heating

Yes, I did adjust it to minimum of 2 cycles per hour. Each time it ran for about 5 to 10 minutes. I think I did not save energy at all with that Honeywell.

I will try the new Luxpro. I will let you know. Thank for your help.
This discussion has been closed.