Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Friday night

Comments

• hear-hear

well said--nbc
  • Doug
    Doug Member Posts: 7
    test

test
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Priorities?

I know a family that sits around huddled under blankets because it's too expensive to run the 1922 snow man hot water boiler that was converted from coal to gas in the mid 70's more than a few times a day. I've explained that a new boiler would probably cut the fuel bill in half and they could probably get a rebate for replacing that relic but they don't have any money for that.

What they do have money for is 5 TV's, all with their own DVR so they can record all the crap on cable TV, btw there are only two of them.

People just don't take the time to think things through.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Rant

People always need something to complain about. It now the heating season so they will complain about the price of heating oil. Right now heating oil is around $4 a gallon, but if you adjust the price for inflation its probably a cheap as is was back in the 1960's. I agree put some money into upgrading the insulation of your home, upgrade old inefficient equipment and enjoy increased comfort.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited December 2011
    Hear ya Bill

But I also think the energy tax credit is backwards to help people get there.

The 30% no cap should have been applied to insulation, windows, doors, and updated high efficiency heating/ cooling systems. Not to geothermal, PV, solar hotwater, wind etc. This was only to promote alternative energy technology.

In my mind to get an envelope up to modern standards along with the heating/cooling plants would go much farther in promoting jobs in those related industries, and energy conservation than jobs in the related industries of the alternative energy industry.

A 10% 500.00 cap which is phased out 12/31/11 does not go far for insulation let alone windows or heating/ cooling systems. 500.00 gets you one good average sized window.  If people were going to get a 10500.00 tax credit for spending 35000.00 on upgrading windows, insulation, and the boiler they may be more inclined to do so.

But then again the Fri. night mantality still exists.

Gordy
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    13.9 cents in 1970

Back in spring of 1970 I was home from my stint in Korea and happened to be home when the oil boiler was being cleaned (a 1947 Delco 5 section steam boiler). The guy was a one man operation, who operated out of his house down the street, he sold oil and serviced oil burners while his wife kept the books and answered the phone. Out of curiosity I asked him how much he was getting for oil; when he told me 13.9 cents I told him to fill the tank and I went up and cancelled the big oil company in Everett that was charging 16.9 cents a gallon. He delivered oil to me until he died and always had good prices and gave great service.

I agree that we all should do all we can to tighten up our homes to reduce fuel use. Unfortunately almost all heating oil comes from countries who don't like us and some would do anything to wipe us off the planet, I do not want to buy any more of their product than I have to. That means tightening up the house and keeping the system tuned for best efficiency.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Ex Maine Doug
    Ex Maine Doug Member Posts: 162
    Did You Know?

The United States has no national oil company. The largest three U.S.-based international oil companies (ExxonMobil, Chevron, and ConocoPhillips) are accountable to their shareholders, not the United States government.

Some interesting reading here:

http://www.eia.gov/energy_in_brief/world_oil_market.cfm

"Unfortunately almost all heating oil comes from countries who don't like us and some would do anything to wipe us off the planet".

Heating oil comes from many sources governed by the cost to the companies in the US that handle and manage it.  Their prime concern is shareholder return and top executive benefits.  Heating oil from countries that don't like you is not a concern of the corporations.  The US, not having a real Energy policy for the last umteen years, is not going to be able to replace the "foreign" BTU's and derived products for many years more, if not forever.

I assume you are not including Canada and Mexico as countries that do not like you. Canada is of course the largest exporter of products to the US. %-}

The US credits for techie stuff for homeowners and building owners makes for good sound bites but as many here have pointed out the real energy savings come from the stuff in the walls and ceilings etc..

Pie chart showing: Western Hemisphere: 51%; Africa: 22%; Persian Gulf: 17%; Other Regions: 10%. Source: U.S. Energy Information Administration
This discussion has been closed.