Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Floor Heat NO Flow

I have been asked to trouble shoot a no flow situation in two of six circuits in one of the in-floor radiant zones.  The six circuits are connected to a common manifold & circuit 3 & 4 have no flow, the other four are working fine.  Please note this is a new installation & this problem was discovered @ start-up.  I'm thinking maybe there is a kink or a blockage (small stone) in these two circuits.  I was going to suggest disconnecting these circuits from the manifold & hooking up a compressor & blowing air thru the lines, or we could hook up a hose & try to run water thru it @ city pressure.

Any thoughts.

Thanks Mike

Comments

• NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    9 times out of 10

the answer is air.

purge the lines, with the hose. through just the blocked loops, if you can.
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    if not air..

If its a new start up, the lines may be crossed at the manifold. Drain down the manifold and if you have compression fittings on the radiant tubes, disconnect but the supply and return on the tubes with no flow, blow on the tubes and make sure they are hooked up correctly. I've seen a supply tube with its return hooked up to the supply as well. Heck, I think I've done it myself once.
  • Mike Donner
    Mike Donner Member Posts: 3
    Problem Fixed

It turned out to be crossed lines, problem fixed.

Thanks
  • NRT_Rob
    NRT_Rob Member Posts: 1,013
    nice one

Slimpickins!
    Rob Brown
    Designer for Rockport Mechanical
    in beautiful Rockport Maine.
  • Slimpickins
    Slimpickins Member Posts: 339
    aww shucks

Well my answer came from experience because I did it early in my career when I hooked up tubes to a manifold. I'm still learning things and hanging out on the wall keeps that process ongoing.
This discussion has been closed.