Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone Valve Wiring Dilemma

kirk999
kirk999 Member Posts: 6
I had a plumber install a new header with extra new zone valves...

The new taco zone valves have 4 wires not 2 like the other one I wired.

There are 2 black and 2 red wires.

I know how to wire the 2 wire zone valve to the System 2000 boiler manager

(one to the 24vac terminal and the other to the corresponding thermostat Z terminal)

So in short, I don't know what to do with the extra leads

my assumption is that 2 aren't used or they are jumped ....

Thanks for you help in advance, Kirk

Comments

• richardplace
    richardplace Member Posts: 10
    Taco zone valve

Post the part numbers off the valve and I'll call Taco and relay the info to you
  • richardplace
    richardplace Member Posts: 10
    Taco zone valve

Post the part numbers off the valve and I'll call Taco and relay the info to you
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    zone valves

If it is a System 2000, then you should be using a full port Honeywell or Erie. Preferably not the latter. The extra wires are most likely the end switch, which you don't use with the System Manager. If these are spring closing valves, then you can use them, and do nothing with the end switch wires. Make sure you know which wires are the actuator motor wires, or you may damage the manager
  • kirk999
    edited December 2011
    Zone Valve Part #

VT2317G13A02A

Erie PopTop Valve Assembly

2-way 3/4" SWT

2 black wires, 2 red wires

The cover plate shows an endswitch wiring using the two red leads and says nothing about the black ones...

Thanks a bunch, it's cold this morning in Maine ;)
  • kirk999
    Zone Valve Part #

VT2317G13A02A

Erie PopTop Valve Assembly

2-way 3/4" SWT

2 black wires, 2 red wires

Do you not Prefer Erie, I have already had to replace one of the motor / electronic pieces.

The cover plate shows an endswitch wiring using the two red leads and says nothing about the black ones...

Thanks, Kirk
  • chapchap70
    chapchap70 Member Posts: 139
    Purpose of endswitches

An endswitch part of an auxiliary circuit that  makes or breaks when the zone valve motor is energized. 

For example, in most boilers, a zone valve should be open so water can flow before a circulator is powered to avoid dead heading.  The reason you wouldn't need it for the System 2000 is that the circulator pushes water through the boiler and bypass so there is no dead head.  
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 709
    Zonevalve wiring simplified

Hi

The two wire zonevalve wiring is straight forward. If you do not have and endswitch to engage a boiler, you do not need to be concerned with wiring back to the boiler.  simply follow the simple diagram I provided.  Hope this helped.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • kirk999
    still cold

Hi Joe or anyone else,

I could not extrapolate those diagrams to my current situation, still numb.

I have attached a sketch someone might use to help advise.

If I leave it wired like my diagram, what do I do with the red (end cap) leads ?

Do I need the plumber to come back with the a two lead only zone valve ?

Thanks a bunch , Kirk
  • billtwocase
    I would rather

see pics of everthing-manager, zone valves, including the new one. You would be better off having an electrician wire this than a plumber. No offense to plumbers, as I am one, as well as an Oil heat boss/tech. The wiring is very simple, and if your plumber can't figure it out, expensive parts start burning out on your dime
  • furnacefigher15
    furnacefigher15 Member Posts: 514
    Boiler control

I looked at your diagram. I see no boiler /burner interface.

What exactly is or is not happening?

Zone valve not opening? Boiler not firing? Nothing  happens?
  • kirk999

I haven't hooked it up this new loop yet.

The reason is because the plumber set up another zone for me but installed a 4 wire zone valve. I don't know what to do with the end switch wires (leave them dangling, jump them together ?)

When I wired the other zone valves originally they had only two wire leads and I followed the system 200 manager wire diagram and all is swell.

Kirk
  • kirk999

Thanks for the reply,

I wired the other zone valves successfully myself.

my biggest problem is that the plumber newly installed zone valve has four leads and not 2.

So in short , I don't need an end switch set up but don't know what to do with the other wires. ( let them dangle, jump them together ...)

Kirk
  • billtwocase
    the end switch wires

forget them, cut them, or just wire nut them separately. The actuator motor leads are what you want. Maybe the motor is no good now? If you are wiring them as the others, it should work. Thermostat connections on the left, zone valve wires, just 2, on the right side of the manager. How many zones total now?
This discussion has been closed.