Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Best tankless

Options
steveo1
steveo1 Member Posts: 8
What's the best tankless boiler in the 50k to 150k for baseboard heat?

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    As in...

Using a  tankless water heater (Rinnai, Noritz, Takagi) to heat a room/ house? You are much better off w/ a combi/ wall hung  boiler...  Embassy Axia, OX160 or a Biasi Riva. Tankless water heaters are not really suited to be used for space heating.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I agree with Kevin...

Although it LOOKS like a wall hung boiler, and it SMELLS like a wall hung boiler, it is NOT, and in the long run, you will probably not be happy with its performance.

Install a real boiler (buck up) and a good DHW indirect (revers or otherwise) and reap the benefits.

You can do it once and be done with it, or do it again, and again, and again...

BTW, you'd asked questions earlier regarding pumps with check valve locations, can you update us on those posts? We appreciate feed back.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    tankless for a boiler?

I would us a condensing boiler not a tankless water heater heater to heat my house. condensing boilers work off a outdoor reset control and if you have enough baseboard to run the boiler at low water temps that is the way I would go. The lower the water temp you run through your system the less fuel you will use. Take a look at the Triangle Tube Challenger boiler and domestic hot water heater all in one unit. Also the Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence boiler this one also does heating and domestic hot water or their Prestige Solo heat only boiler and you can use a TT Smart Stainless Steel indirect water heater for domestic hot water.
  • Greig1
    Greig1 Member Posts: 7
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Greig1

Mark is 100% right. Cast iron, sealed combustion, 85% AFUE and you will be one happy dude. Do not fall for the 90% AFUE wall unit that is really designed for infloor.  You can only get around 83% with hot water baseboard.  It is to hot to condense.  Return fluid temp need to be bellow 130 for condensing to take place with gas and 95 for oil.  Adding an outdoor reset will help lower your fuel cost in warmer weather.

• steveo1
    steveo1 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Best Tankless

Had a local distributer today talking about the Eternal Tankless ?

I have used the Trinty before and will head that direction.

I may have forgotten to mention this Application is a Fan coil and our load is 85k.

We just finished a Steam change out and today the Gravity hot water with a KBN and Indirect. We did put in the extra check valve on the returns.

Thank you All!

How do I send pictures?
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    tankless gwh as a boiler

if this is a hydro air duct coil system if the heating load is 85,000 btu could you use a 125,000 or 150,000 duct coil so you could run lower water temp to heat the house and keep the condensing boiler running in the condensing mode longer? What about using the Burnham ES2 cast iron boiler and using the outdoor reset control that can be put on the ES2 boiler?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Interesting concept...

I went to their web site to look at the appliance. It (the web site) is obviously designed for the consumer, and not the contractor.

Couldn't find any contractor oriented information like pipe sizes, pressure drops etc. Looks like a new design on a mod con water heater, which I have no problem with, unless you intend to use it for DHW and space heat, using the same contiguous water, in which case you are exposing the users to the potential of many water borne diseases, like legionaires disease.

They wouldn't be the first company to go that route...

If it can be used as a sole heat source, and doesn't have an inherent high pressure drop, and won't short cycle, then I'd have no issues with it.

As for posting pictures, as you are in the RESPOND mode, below the input content box there is a bar that says File Attachment, with a button marked Choose FIle. This is where you choose either a picture, or a PDF file to your post. You can add more than one picture if need be by clicking on the Add Another FIle button. Then do the math, and click on submit post. It takes a while for the post to be posted because I suspect all attachments have to be scanned for possible bugs before it is actually posted. Have patience....

Here's a picture of the computer screen from the monitoring capability of my mountain homes control logic.

Thanks for responding. :-)

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Re: Eternal

Mark, I used an Eternal for a small guest house on estate to heat and supply dhw. This is one of the few applicaitions I will consider it.  They are very similar in design to a Triangle prestige but much more plain jane. Works well in this application.  My supplier has sold I think into the 1000s of these and has had very few problems in the last 3 yrs they have sold them. No outdoor reset but for this rarely used guest house it was fine with Runtal wall panels to heat up fast when needed.  Happy Holiday's. Tim
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Greig

You are incorrect in regards to baseboard and condensing boilers

http://www.bnl.gov/isd/documents/28709.pdf
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.