Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostats stopped working?

poppop
poppop Member Posts: 7
Hello,

I have my thermostats down to 50 degrees and it is 70 in the house. It seems like I am wasting oil. I have zone valves for the 2 thermostats. What do you all think this could be and for what you think it is can I do the repair myself.

thank you

Comments

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Possible cause?

The zone valves could be stuck in the open position or if you have had a recent service call they could have been accidentally left in the manually open position.  
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • poppop
    Thanks Alan

Thank you. how can I check to see if that is the problem. have not had a service call yet this year. They have been working good. Then I noticed it has been getting hot in the house.
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Zone valves

Poppop, what type of zone valves do have?
    Your friend in the industry,

Alan R. Mercurio

www.oiltechtalk.com
  • poppop
    Auto mag

Automag.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    that

style zone valve use's power to close/shutoff. If the zone head itself fails it will allow it to open and you will get heat out of your system if the boiler maintain's temp. I dont believe there is an indicator as to whether or not the valve is open or closed...You would need a meter to see if the unit is getting power.
  • richardplace
    richardplace Member Posts: 10
    Tstat not working

It sounds like you have a bad flow control valve if the boiler maintains heat in the thermostat off cycle. At the top of the supply pipe there should be a flow control valve.It is there to keep the hot water from flowing by pressure/temperature when the zone doesn't require heat.On a call from the thermostat the zone valve opens and the pump is what moves water through the flow control valve to the radiator on some older systems. Flow controls usually have a single arm adjustment lever so they be a set for the correct opening pressure. This may not apply to your system since you do have zone valves but not knowing the entire history of your system  it is easy to look at the top of the supply lines,also quickly touch the supply line on the leaving side of the zone valve to see if hot water is passing through it.a cheap surface thermometer would be safer than touching hot pipes.
  • Wellness
    Wellness Member Posts: 138
    Batteries

If they are powered setback thermostats, could be a low or dead battery.
This discussion has been closed.