Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Biasi B10 or Buderus 215-4

Hello all - need to make a quick decision and having a difficult time.  I hope I can get some insight on this site.

I have a 3 zone 1500 sf home in the Lakes Region of NH.  I also have a finished unheated basement approx 700 sf that stays warm in winter from boiler and cool in the summer.

My current heating system is a Burnham oil boiler with a fairly new indirect hot water tank.  My oil tank is in the basement and is in great shape.

The burnham boiler has a crack in it and I need to replace it.  Looked into converting to propane and have decided it is not worth it.  I am happy with my oil delivery company and they have suggested I buy a Biasi B10-4 with a riello burner.  They will install it and remove the old one for about $4500.  I have a friend in the oil business who does not service my area who has suggested I ask them if they will install a Buderus 215-4 and he will send it to me for his cost.  He also suggested that I

<span style="font-size:12pt">1.</span>       <span style="font-size:12pt">Replace the existing oil line and sleeve it.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">2.</span>       <span style="font-size:12pt">Install a new Garber filter at the boiler w/ flex oil line to the burner.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">3.</span>       <span style="font-size:12pt">Connect the fresh air boot to the burner.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">4.</span>       <span style="font-size:12pt">Replace the expansion tank and install a 911S combination water feeder-back flow preventer</span>

Think about installing an outdoor reset control (Buderus equivalent is called a Logomatic).

A close friend of mine is a mechanic and when I explained my circumstances and the offer to "upgrade" to a buderus, he was very adamant that I not get the buderus - he has had a very bad experience with the one installed in his house  in that it is always running (maybe didn't get the right size for his sf?).  Anyway, I was all set to get the buderus  but now I am confused.  Does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on the models listed and their advantages or disadvantages. 

One of the things my oil business friend said was that the buderus was very easy to maintian as it swings open, i notice that Biasi does this as well - is this a new feature?  What about availability of parts, length of usefull life, efficiency, maintenance requirements?

Thanks in advance.  nhgirl60323

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    Both are fine Makes...

1st question... was there a heat loss done? I'm thinking not judging from the model numbers you give....A 215-4 is a HUGE boiler for a 1500 sq ft home. I live about an hour south of you... have a 2100 sq ft home and heat my home just fine w/ a Buderus 115-3. I have a large indirect and have never run out of hot water. so you don't need to add the indirect to the heatloss ...unless you have Huge hot water demands.
  • nhgirl60323
    nhgirl60323 Member Posts: 6
    biasi v buderus

No, no heat loss calc was done.  Was happy with what I had - plenty of hot water - plenty of hot water for showers and laundry - two teenage boys who play sports daily and sometimes take two showers a day.

Never thought that the buderus would be too big for my needs - what is downside if it is?  Just up front cost of boiler?  Would hate to go too small
  • nhgirl60323
    biasi v buderus

No, no heat loss calc was done.  Was happy with what I had - plenty of hot water - plenty of hot water for showers and laundry - two teenage boys who play sports daily and sometimes take two showers a day.

Never thought that the buderus would be too big for my needs - what is downside if it is?  Just up front cost of boiler?  Would hate to go too small
  • nhgirl60323
    biasi v buderus

• nhgirl60323
    square footage

I stand corrected - ground floor is about 1500 square feet, I have another 589 on second floor for close to 2100 sf house.
  • richardplace
    richardplace Member Posts: 10
    Boiler replacement

Oil fired boilers are capable of varying the btus by oil nozzle size. I would see if you can find out the old boiler's burner firing range, then see what actual nozzle size was being utilized. That will give you a good idea of boilers to choose from. Good luck.
  • kcopp
    Unless you do...

the numbers you never know.  An oversized boiler will use more oil. Is it more efficient to take a school bus for a trip downtown for 4 people or a toyota corrolla? When a heatloss is done it is designed for the coldest day of the year here in Dover I figure -10 Farenheight . We hit that about 2 times every 2 years. The rest of the time in effect you are oversized.... very rarely do you see a boiler too small. If you have 2100 sq. ft. and roughly figure (on the high side) 30 BTU/ sq. ft. that is 63,000 BTU. The  4 section B-10 nets out @ 96k....the Buderus 215-4... 149k.... thats over 2 times too big.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Something Fishy

May I ask how old that Burnham boiler is? You may have another avenue of boiler similar to both the Biasi and the Buderus. Burnham will providing there is warranty left rebate you back the value of the warranty if you install a Burnham MPO-IQ. The MPO is a 3 pass boiler like the others with the same efficiences. Adding outdoor reset is just plugging in a card into the onboard control. I wouldn't make a decision on any boiler without checking to see what warranty is left on the existing boiler.

The only way to properly size a boiler is to do a heat loss. Strongly suggest you ask for one to be done.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • kcopp
    you can't...

downsize/ down fire either of these boilers... I have asked the MFG(s) in the past and that is a no go.
  • nhgirl60323
    Burnham

It is a 1999 and I am told that if I am not the original owner (i am not), that there is no more warranty on this boiler.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    I See

Yup no warranty. Best advice is to ask for that heat loss to be done. All the boilers spoken about will do the job. The Burnham MPO-IQ may best the best bang for the buck as the control comes with the boiler and adding the outdoor reset is just snapping in a card. Boiler was voted Best Buy by Consumer Digest.

http://www.usboiler.net/products/boilers/mpo-iq/
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.